Student security squads proposed

After six sexual attacks shocked the campus last semester, the issue of student security has found its way onto the platforms of two candidates for president of the Student Confederation, AU's student government.

The attacks happened when a man - possibly not the same one - grabbed female students and then ran away. Occurring mostly in the garden between Hughes Hall and Bender Arena, the six attacks happened in late October and early November and were followed by former Public Safety Director Colleen Carson leaving the University in late November.

The two candidates, Will Mount and John Lancelot, plan to implement a voluntary watch group that would serve the AU community like a neighborhood watch if elected in the upcoming election.

"The safety of the student body is an extremely important issue," said Lancelot, who does not want to see a repeat of the attacks.

Lancelot believes that a student- run group would aid Public Safety or the Metropolitan Police Department in apprehending a suspect if something were to happen.

Participating students would "serve as extra eyes and ears on campus," Lancelot said.

He also said the extra help would make Public Safety more effective.

"They're not doing a bad job at all," Lancelot said of Public Safety. However, he said that instances calling for immediate reaction often take too long to be reacted to.

Mount said his proposal is "part of a larger comprehensive safety plan." A student watch group, he said, would "be a more efficient use of Public Safety."

The watch group would utilize students who would wear plain clothes and would patrol late at night, Mount said.

"AU has a responsibility to the students, even at three in the morning," Mount said.

Both candidates said the watch groups would patrol the darkest areas of the campus, where students walk late at night. These locations include the amphitheater and areas by the Hamilton Building and Reeves Field.

Students studying Justice, Law and Society would be targeted by both candidates to head such watch groups. Mount and Lancelot each said it would be a good opportunity for these students to get involved on campus.

Mount said he would work on helping the students work on a federal work-study, while Lancelot said he would have the SC run the organization.

The candidates realize that students might be wary of such a proposal because some on the watch groups might abuse their power.

Lancelot said he would make participating students swear an oath because he is "not going to have them snoop on students."

Mount said potential candidates for the watch groups would go through an application process.

"Not everyone is cut out to do the job," he said, "Some would use the position to abuse their authority."

The candidates plan to work hand in hand with Public Safety to put the program in the works.

Acting Director of Public Safety Mike McNair said he would welcome the organization.

"Additional eyes and ears providing information would be an advantage to Public Safety," McNair said.

He said students would be more likely to see things out of the ordinary and that it would be an important step in developing a relationship between the students and Public Safety.

"A partnership between the students and Public Safety is a good opportunity to learn the issues," McNair said. "It is a win-win situation."

The issue of campus security groups is not new.

Jim McBride, a part-time student at the Washington College of Law, tried to put a similar plan into action in 1999 as an undergraduate student. But a change in SC ranks at the time swept his proposal aside.

McBride said any additional help to Public Safety would be a good thing, but that it would require major commitment from the students.

To ensure the safety of students in the watch groups, McNair said Public Safety would help provide them with proper training.

The candidates said the watch groups would patrol the campus nonconfrontationally and inform Public Safety of suspicious activities. The pursuit of suspects would be left to the professionals.

This issue is so important to the candidates that both said they would actively pursue the watch groups even if not elected.

"There are already students who write parking tickets," Mount said. "Why not take it a step further?"

Senior Steven Stauffer said a campus watch would increase the effectiveness of Public Safety and "bring about a greater increase in security."

However, freshman Danielle Imhoff is skeptical. "It is worthy of trying," she said, but it will have to be proven effective before she buys into it.