Incubus hatches new ideas

Incubus * * * * "A Crow Left of the Murder" Epic Records Radio-rock

From its first full-length album "Fungus Amongus" to the recently released "A Crow Left of the Murder," Incubus' main strength is writing songs as fresh as they are excellent.

First recorded while Incubus was still in high school, "Fungus Amongus" was anything but a modest debut. Its funk and metal influences showcased Incubus' early talent. The 1997 release "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." pushed the envelope even further with its experimental style of songwriting.

Incubus finally got recognition in 1999 with the singles "Pardon Me," "Stellar" and "Drive" from its CD "Make Yourself." This album had more of a spacey feel with DJ Kilmore frequently taking center stage. The success continued with hit singles from 2001's "Morning View," which saw Incubus quiet down a bit and craft some great love songs.

But "A Crow Left of the Murder" does not sound like anything Incubus has done in the past. Rather, it combines certain elements from its previous releases with new ideas to make it a standout rock album.

Musically, this CD is simply amazing. Though former bassist Dirk Lance was extremely talented, new member Ben Kenney (of the Roots) adds an interesting new dimension to Incubus' sound. Guitarist Mike Einzinger continues to impress, whether he is playing simple riffs or leading the charge on breakdown sections found in songs like "Sick Sad Little World." Jose Pasillas' drumming has evolved and he combines difficult rock and jazz rhythms.

Lead singer Brandon Boyd has always met and exceeded expectations with his unique vocal ability, and "A Crow Left of the Murder" is no exception. His voice has both power and beauty. The title track has him belting out the choruses while he softens up on songs like "Here In My Room" to let the instrumentation shine.

Lyrically, this album falls somewhere between "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." and "Morning View." Though laced with angst and disillusionment, the songs convey a sense of optimism that has been characteristic of Brandon Boyd's writing. In "Talk Shows on Mute," Boyd references Orwell's book "1984," but reminds the listener in "Agoraphobia" that "fate is what we make of it."

"A Crow Left of the Murder" is an album that will please a large portion of the population, even those who may have been turned off by Incubus's commercial success. Longtime fans of Incubus may be surprised, but definitely not disappointed.