D.C. police redo areas for patrols

D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams and Metropolitan Police Department Chief Charles Ramsey introduced a proposal last month that would change the way patrol officers are deployed throughout the District.

According to a press release from Williams' office, this redistribution would be part of an overhaul of MPD that would also involve the re-mapping of the city's patrol districts and the Police Service Areas (PSAs) within those districts.

Currently, there are a total of 83 PSAs spread out among MPD's seven police districts. According to MPD's Web site, "Every resident lives in a PSA and every PSA has a team of police officers and officials assigned to it."

While this plan would cut the total number of PSAs in the city from 83 to 43, it would not add more patrol officers. MPD has about 1,600 patrol officers, according to MPD.

Ramsey told The Washington Post that the current system conforms to too much of a "one size fits all" approach, since crime is different in different parts of D.C.

The proposal will move toward customizing boundaries so that PSAs will better reflect the boundaries of various District neighborhoods. It would also provide more flexibility in police efforts on the street, allowing more officers to patrol crime "hot spots."

AU currently falls into the Second District's PSA 203, which extends from Georgetown up 44th Street to the corner of Western and Massachusetts avenues. The proposal would place AU in the new PSA 206, which would include a few extra blocks.

AU Public Safety Captain Nick Williams is unfamiliar with this proposal and how it would affect the safety of students in and around AU. However, he said the proposed changes "wouldn't affect the way that Public Safety operates" since MPD and Public Safety operate independently.

D.C. Council has 60 days to review the proposal before it is put to a vote.

Councilman Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) told the Post that he supports the plan.

"This is not just about moving boxes about," Graham said. "This gives the chief of police major latitude."

Ward 3 Councilwoman Kathleen Patterson has not released a statement.