What's the difference between 2-D and 3-D animation?

Forms of 2-D Animation:

Cut-out Animation:

Two-dimensional animation that uses flat "cut-outs" to create images, varying each shot to create a sense of movement. "South Park" is a prime example of this form.

Cell Animation

Two-dimensional animation created in the 1910s that uses a series of drawings on pieces of celluloid (cells). Slight variations in the drawings on each cell are used to create the illusion of movement. This form was perfected by Disney in its feature-length films like "Snow White" and in television cartoons like those shown on the Cartoon Network.

Forms of 3-D Animation:

Claymation

Three-dimensional animation that involves modeling clay or Plasticine, which it remolded slightly between each shot to portray movement. The film "Chicken Run" and the television show "Wallace and Grommet" popularized this infrequently used form.

Model/Puppet Animation

Three-dimensional animation, very similar to claymation, that uses moveable figures that are varied slightly in each shot to produce a sense of motion. Tim Burton's feature-length film "The Nightmare Before Christmas" employed this type of animation.

Computer-Generated (CG) Animation

Three-dimensional animation that is created entirely through computers, generating slightly altered images to create movement. This form gained popularity in the 1990s with the introduction of Pixar Animation Studio's first feature "Toy Story," which was the first animated feature created entirely by computer. Today many animators combine CG with cell animation to create grander effects and a smoother composition.