Weekend Hotspots

Thursday, Nov. 6

Prefuse 73 Black Cat, $12 Atlanta glitch-hop king Scott Herren, aka Prefuse 73, will headline the Black Cat in support of his latest Warp Records LP, "One Word Extinguisher." A monumental album for both IDM and hip-hop communities, "One Word Extinguisher" is a record steeped in emotion - a mix of experimentation and melody. Herren truly provides a look into the future of both underground and commercial hip-hop.

Friday, Nov. 7

Badly Drawn Boy, Leona Naess 9:30 club, $17.00 The Badly Drawn Boy, Damon Gough, returns stateside to perform favorites from "The Hour of Bewilderbeast," his score to the movie "About a Boy" and his more recent, disappointing LP "Have You Fed the Fish?" Gough will also play songs from his forthcoming, unnamed LP, which he describes as "sparse" and "minimal." He abandoned the orchestral arrangements he popularized on his earlier work in favor of a piano. Fellow Brit and former Ryan Adams squeeze Leona Naess will be opening. Get tickets at www.tickets.com.

British Sea Power Black Cat, $10 British Sea Power, the affable goth-influenced concept band heads out for a headlining U.S. tour, fresh off a tour supporting Interpol in Europe. The band, touring in support of "The Decline of British Sea Power," has an elaborate live show complete with vintage military uniforms and props - including large stuffed birds. British Sea Power has converted droves of fans at festival events which gave them the opportunity to perform for those not familiar with the band, namely at the College Music Journal Festival and South by Southwest.

Saturday, Nov. 8

Herbie Hancock Warner Theatre, $26.50 Herbie Hancock is a jazz legend. The protg of Miles Davis, Hancock furiously combined jazz, blues and r&b with electronic music. His nontraditional approach made jazz purists cringe, while he converted young new fans with MTV hit "Rockit." Hancock appears in at the Warner Theatre in a rare live appearance. Get tickets through Ticketmaster.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs 9:30 club, $14.00 Dance punks the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, lead by siren Karen O, embark on a world tour that lands in D.C. Saturday. O & Co. will play hits off its exceptional "Fever to Tell" debut as well as "Machine" EP. Get tickets at www.tickets.com.

Sunday, Nov. 9

Duran Duran Warner Theatre, $48.50 Regrouped and reformed, the new wave arena rockers Duran Duran tour the world on a comeback with all original members sharing a stage for the first time in 15 years. The recent Los Angeles gig was a celebrity packed extravaganza, with everyone from Beck to Gwen Stefani in attendance. Get tickets through Ticketmaster.

- COSTA CALOUDAS