Weekend Hot Spots

Thursday, Nov. 20

Karmella's Game SIS Lounge, AU $5, 8 p.m.

Karmella's Game is a Baltimore rock band, heavily indebted to '80s synth-pop. They opened for Denali and Rainer Maria last month at the Black Cat, and make for a captivating live act. The band's strong vocal harmonies and killer grooves will have keyboard-rock lovers in a frenzy.

Mondo Generator Black Cat 1811 14th St. U Street-Cardozo Metro $12, 8:30 p.m.

Nick Oliveri of Queens of the Stone Age fame is coming to D.C. with one of his many side projects, Mondo Generator. The band is touring in support of its 2003 release "The Drug Problem That Never Existed." Unlike QOTSA, Mondo Generator has more of a punk-thrash sounds with raw songs that do not tend to revel in the glory of mountainous feedback. This is the chance for fans of QOTSA or Kyuss, Oliveri and Josh Homme's former band, to see them in an intimate setting.

Friday, Nov. 21

Something Corporate Nation K & Half St. Navy Yard Metro $16, 7 p.m.

Something Corporate has been making waves for the past year with its Ben Folds Five meets pop ballads of high school and love. With some solid touring under its belt, including the 2002 Vans Warped Tour, Something Corporate is hitting the road in support of "North," its first full-length on Cambria Records.

Saturday, Nov. 22

The Ataris with Planes Mistaken For Stars and Hopesfall The Tavern, AU Free with student ID, 7 p.m.

After a string of albums on Kung Fu Records, The Ataris hit it big with a major label debut, "So Long Astoria," and a cover of Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer." With roots in rock 'n' roll and a penchant for The Goonies, SUB's latest offering to the masses should be one of the most anticipated of the year. Not to mention that Planes Mistaken For Stars and Hopesfall are amazing bands with the ability to upstage the headliners through chaotic and intense live shows.

The Scratch Tour 9:30 club 815 V Street U Street-Cardoza Metro $20, 11 p.m.

The Scratch Tour is a mix of old and new school turntable-ists, including Qbert, Mix Master Mike, X-ecutioners, Z-Trip and The Original Jazzy Jay. Aside from the expert scratching, this tour boasts another unique attraction aptly named ScratchVision that mixes live shots from the show and video images. The D.C. show marks the end of the U.S. segment of the tour, which has found success overseas as well as in the United States. Those who like the sound or the vibe, who spit rhymes or who are up-and-coming beat masters, shouldn't miss The Scratch Tour.

Sunday, Nov. 23

Le Tigre 9:30 club 815 V St. U Street-Cardoza Metro $12, 8 p.m.

Head on down to the 9:30 club on Sunday and check out the former Bikini Kill leader, long time riot grrrl herself, Kathleen Hanna, with her latest group Le Tigre. Through super synth sounds, Le Tigre pushes feminist and liberal messages in a fun and exciting way sure to capture the interest of any concert attendee. Beyond the sound though, these girls cook up something fierce in the way of stage show and never seem to disappoint.

Monday, Nov. 24

Tell Us The Truth Tour 9:30 club 815 V Street U Street-Cardozo Metro $25, 7:30 p.m.

Featuring Billy Bragg, Tom Morello's The Nightwatchman, Jill Sobule and host Janeane Garofalo, the Tell Us the Truth Tour is a politically charged music showcase with a focus on media diversity, fair trade and democracy. Taking aim at the recent Free Trade Area of Americas meetings in Miami which looked at consolidating the Americas into one trade zone as well as the relaxation of FCC guidelines that enable monopolistic trends in media to exist. Definitely a great line-up and if you're interested in the cause there should be plenty of information.