Weekend hot spots

Thursday, Nov. 13

Sugar Cult and Jackson Black Cat 8:30 p.m., $12 U Street Metro

Trite pop-punkers Sugar Cult headline a show at the Black Cat. More notable is the appearance of openers Jackson, a punk trio founded by Christ Shiflett, and his brother. Shiflett was an active member of No Use for a Name and Me First and the Gimme Gimmes prior to joining the Foo Fighters. Story of the Year will also perform. Get tickets at the door or through Ticketmaster.

Friday, Nov. 14

Rancid Nation 7 p.m., $16.50 Navy Yard Metro

With the very public breakup of Tim Armstrong and Brody Dalle of the Distillers, as well as Armstrong's venture into pop songwriting - he wrote Pink's new album, has a second manager for his "co-writing" career, and is negotiating to work with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera - Rancid has found itself in the spotlight more than ever. With the platinum success of 1995 LP "... And Out Come the Wolves," Rancid was thrust onto MTV and top-40 radio, third to only Green Day and the Offspring. For years, Rancid preached the importance of independent music and stayed on Epitaph records. Other punk bands signed major labels, and front-man Armstrong was quick to criticize. Somewhere along the lines, Armstrong had a change of heart and the most recent release, "Indestructible" is out on Warner Brothers records. Get tickets through Ticketmaster.

Saturday, Nov. 15

Deftones and Denali Nation 7 p.m., $28.50 Navy Yard Metro

Envelope-pushing stoner visionaries, the Deftones have emerged as the only critically acclaimed band to spawn from the nu-metal movement. The Deftones are touring in support of its latest self-titled record, the highly anticipated follow up to "White Pony." Lush trip-hoppers Denali open, who released the phenomenal "The Instinct" this year. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

Atmosphere Black Cat 9:30 p.m., $15 ahead, $17 at the door U Street Metro

Atmosphere's Sean Daley has earned a reputation for not only a grueling tour schedule, but also personal lyrical content - his full length album prior to "Seven's Travels" was named after his ex-girlfriend, Lucy Ford.

Sunday, Nov. 16

Poi Dog Pondering 9:30 club $15

A Hawaiian folk collective, Poi Dog Pondering, has earned a cult-like fan base from extensive, exhaustive touring over the last 15 years. A small tour lands the act at the 9:30 club in support of "In Seed Comes Fruit." Get tickets through Tickets.com.