Web exclusive: Nutrition News

From everyday activities, like getting to class and work on time, completing assignments and doing well on exams - the lives of college students are filled with stress - particularly as the end of the semester rapidly approaches.

For many, just feeling stress isn't the end of their problems; some of the most prevalent side affects of stress include poor eating habits, lack of sleep, catching a cold, feeling depressed, overwhelmed or anxious, and having mood swings or difficulty concentrating.

Stress is the physical manifestation of our "flight or fight" response. Repeated flight or fight responses over a period time result in chronic stress because the brain triggers the pituitary gland to release cortisol, the stress hormone. Cortisol is associated with sleep cycles, and an imbalance of this and other hormones can cause insomnia, depression, migraines, hypertension, acne, eating disorders, diarrhea or constipation.

However, people can handle stress in numerous ways. Exercise can provide an outlet for frustration related to work or class. Talking to a friend or professional counselor about the issues that cause stress can also be beneficial. Other stress-reducers include yoga or tai chi, meditation, massage therapy and psychotherapy.

Students can also relieve stress through various campus services, such as the Academic Support Center, located on the second floor of Mary Graydon. Throughout each semester the center holds sessions concerning stressors, including seminars specializing in time management, procrastination, note-taking strategies, memory tricks, effective reading and writing papers. The Counseling Center (x3500) offers simple tools for coping with stress. Students can meet with counselors to find the cause of stress and determine a course of action in a confidential setting.