Shattered Glass: Just the facts on the film's true tale

As it is set in D.C. and is about a young journalist, the movie "Shattered Glass" seems pretty relevant to students at AU. Here are some interesting facts about the film that writer and director Billy Ray was kind enough to share with The Eagle.

-"Shattered Glass" is based on an article by H.G. Bissinger that appeared in Vanity Fair in September 1998. Ray's screenplay uses much of the article, but Ray felt it was necessary to do his own research to ensure that the facts were straight. His research took several months to complete.

-Ray cites his largest influence as Alan Pakula's 1976 film "All the President's Men." In order to duplicate the mood of Pakula's film, Ray rented a ballroom, bought pizza for the cast and crew and screened the film for them the night before production started.

-Ray was originally hired by HBO to write the film. After a change in authority the script sat on the shelf for several years. The script was later rejected by 21 movie studios until Lions Gate agreed to take it.

-The shooting script for "Shattered Glass" is highly unorthodox as Ray was required to footnote every action and line of dialogue in the film. This annotation was required by Lions Gate to avoid being sued. -Due to budget constraints, "Shattered Glass" was filmed in Canada, not D.C. A few exterior shots were filmed here so viewers may recognize locations in Farragut and Bethesda.

-The New Republic office where Stephen Glass worked no longer exists, so Ray had to approximate the office's appearance for the film. The result is a cross between what the office actually looked like and a set that would aid in the development of the film.

-Mike Kelly, Chuck Lane and several anonymous sources who were involved in the Glass incident were instrumental in the creation of the film. Many of the secondary characters are composite characters with fictional names to protect those involved.

-"Shattered Glass" is dedicated to Mike Kelly, who was killed in April 2003 during his coverage of the Iraq War. Ray's largest concern for the film was the reaction of Kelly's widow to his presentation of Kelly's character.

-Ray has never spoken to the real Stephen Glass, although Glass has apparently seen the film. Ray's characterization of Glass is taken from descriptions of those who knew him. Glass now lives in New York and recently wrote a book about a journalist who makes up stories.

-Chuck Lane now works at The Washington Post and has reacted positively to the film.