Jackson Jams

Band opens for Sugarcult in D.C.

Power-pop band Jackson played a strong opening set for Sugarcult and Story of the Year at the Black Cat last Thursday. Jackson's set started while Black Cat patrons were still being let into the club at a snail's pace. At the end of its set the crowd was about 200 strong. Jackson mostly played songs from its debut self-titled EP that was released in April, such as "All the Way," "Blinders" and the pop-like "Fell Into," for which front-man Chris Shiflett said he "was horribly out of tune."

While Shiflett usually occupies the side of the stage when playing guitar in his two other bands, the Foo Fighters and Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, he seemed comfortable running the show. In between songs there was plenty of rock-talk, as well as joking about the other bands on the bill. Shiflett was smiling and having a good time throughout the show, occasionally looking over at his bass-playing brother, Scott, and laughing. Most of the crowd, however, was waiting for Story of the Year to play and did the hands-in-pockets nodding combo.

Jackson also played a few brand new songs, including "Sharp Edges," a punchy, manic song, harder than most of its currently released material. The band kept a good pace throughout its short set, maintaining a good level of energy. This being the band's first real "tour," there were yet to be any obvious Jackson fans, but the show provided a good opportunity for Jackson to get its music out and gain a fan base outside of the Foo Fighters connection.

Jackson closed with its strongest song "Here Comes Hollow" and left with a good response from the crowd. Hopefully this up-and-coming band will gain a solid fan base on this tour, which wraps up Nov. 25 in Little Rock, Ark.