Il Faccia `e delizioso: Local pizzeria serves cheap eats for college crowd

Chef Du Jour

A local pizzeria, Faccia Luna, would be a great place for a first date - low key and unpretentious, somewhat romantic and slightly dark. This restaurant even has a place to eat outdoors.

Located just within the limits of Georgetown at 2400 Wisconsin Ave. in Glover Park, the restaurant is accessible by any even numbered bus on Wisconsin Avenue. Faccia Luna has been in business at this location since 1989 and has since spread to different parts of the area.

Faccia Luna has wood burning pizza ovens but also makes homemade pastas, sandwiches, salads and a variety of appetizers. Boasting a full-service bar, Faccia Luna also offers a wide variety of wines, especially Italian wines. Our server also mentioned that many of the chefs have been professionally trained at the Culinary Institute of America.

I found the appetizer offerings, with wine suggestions, to be varied and nicely priced. Prices range from $5.95 to $8.95 and include dishes such as mozzarella and fresh tomato salad, as well as a goat cheese crostini. However, it was the mozzarella and red pepper appetizer that won me over. The pairing of wine selections with these dishes helps the novice wine drinker learn different types of wines and how well wines can pair with food. The salad selection was just as varied and held a few surprises.

The tuna and greens salad at $6.75 was moderately priced like the other salads, and all the food selections, except pizzas and sandwiches, were paired with wine selections. Prices ranged from $3.95 for a small house salad to $7.50 for the grilled chicken caesar salad. The lettuces were crisp and cool, just the way a salad should be served. All dressings are made in house. I found the homemade dijon vinaigrette to be delicious.

Let's talk about the pizzas - homemade crusts served with a variety of light sauces and toppings. There are three different sizes available with over thirteen selections. Plus, you can personalize your pizza with a wide variety of toppings. We had the margarita piazza with grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, feta cheese and bell peppers. Some other toppings offered include black olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh spinach and homemade meatballs. Faccia Luna offers 25 toppings at a cost of 50 cents each.

Pasta entr?e selections are just as mouth watering. I sampled the agnolotti de luna. The pasta is homemade and stuffed with fresh spinach, gorgonzola cheese and toasted pine nuts then tossed in a light tomato pomordoro sauce. Entr?es, ranging from $11.95 to $13.95, are large enough to split, especially if you having an appetizer or salad first. The sandwiches served are large and flavorful with over 10 selections. Prices range from $6.25 to $6.95.

There are only three dessert selections: Chocolate truffle cake, cheesecake and tiramisu, each priced at $3.95. I must say the Tiramisu is most excellent. Light and rich, it is a perfect ending for a wonderful meal.

The service was terrific, not too overbearing and just right. Dining at Faccia Luna will not break the bank by any means. The atmosphere is casual and so is the dress. I have to give Faccia Luna my highest rating of four stars. I think you will find the food and atmosphere comfortable and relaxing, just the right kind of atmosphere for a first date. Visit their Web site at www.faccialuna.com for further details and menu selections.