Hip-hop masters face off

Jay-Z's 'The Black Album' outsells G-Units 'Beg for Mercy'

Two of rap's biggest names moved up the release of their albums to Nov. 14 because of bootlegging Internet piracy.

Jay-Z moved the release of "The Black Album" from Nov. 28 to Nov. 14. Following Jay-Z's decision, G-Unit - prot?g?s of 50 Cent - announced that it would release its debut album, "Beg For Mercy," originally slated for release on Nov. 18, to Nov. 14.

Of the change 50 Cent said, "What can you expect when you're the hottest rapper around?" This claim has led many to anticipate G-Unit's album as a challenge to outsell Jay-Z.

All bragging rights aside, what it comes down to is who has the better album, Jay or G? Jay-Z's "The Black Album" and G-Unit's "Beg For Mercy" are two very different rap records. While Jay-Z includes 14 tracks with no skits, interludes or guest spots from any emcee other than "Hova" himself, "Beg For Mercy" is an 18-track affair that lasts over an hour, with the entire G-Unit lineup appearing on almost every song. Before the battle has even begun, the Jigga man has the clear edge.

"The Black Album" is a masterpiece. Although Jay-Z is no stranger to boasting, he has a hit-and-miss history. Being the most prolific artist in rap today, Jay-Z scores brilliant hits - most notably 2000's party gem "Big Pimpin'," backed by a genius Timbaland beat, and 2001's "I Just Wanna Love U (Give It To Me)," on which The Neptunes helmed the production.

Misses include the nap-inducing "'03 Bonnie & Clyde" and "Excuse Me Miss," both from last year's "Blueprint 2.0: The Gift and the Curse." Despite "The Black Album" being his eighth album in as many years, this entry into Jay-Z's catalogue soars past all other offerings as the culminating work of his career.

On opener "December 4" Jay-Z enlists his mother's help to provide narration on the track between Jay's verses, which are sharper than ever. He doesn't seem on cruise control, but rather weaving in and out of the lanes of the English language, and still managing not to be a reckless driver.

He raps over an orchestral sample with a simple beat laid on top of it, and like most of the material to follow, the opener concentrates on Jay rapping about his career.

However, where Eminem's self-absorbed "The Eminem Show" failed, "The Black Album" succeeds. Jay-Z manages to be cocky and humble simultaneously, and when "Hova" says "you're tuned into the ... greatest," it's hardly hyperbole.

The only shortcoming of "The Black Album" is the first single, "Change Clothes and Go," a bland Neptunes-produced track that features Pharrell Williams' off-key crooning. However, this drawback is easily overshadowed by tracks like "What More Can I Say," where Jay-Z includes audio samples from the 2000 Oscar-winning film "Gladiator," and "Dirt Off Your Shoulders," a funky jam that uses a dirty Timbaland beat. "Jigga" carves out non-stop potential singles with fabulous production and innovative lyrics.

In any event, back to 50's crew. Almost forgot about them, although listening to "The Black Album" will do that to you.

"Beg For Mercy" begins with 50 Cent, our favorite "birfday boy," delivering his familiar slurred raps on the opener "G-Unit," with big beats reminiscent of 50's mega-selling "Get Rich or Die Tryin'." However, throughout "Beg For Mercy," 50's rhymes are too familiar. To be more specific, they're almost identical to lyrics from his solo disc. 50 declares on the first single, "Stunt 101," that "In the 'hood they say 50 man your sneakers look bright yo," while on 50's debut single "In Da Club" released earlier this year it was, "In the 'hood and in L.A. they say, 50, you hot."

Obviously Mr. Cent hasn't progressed much as a lyricist within the eight months since his solo record. However, that wasn't what made 50 a star; it was the three notes Dr. Dre used to make "In Da Club." For the G-Unit album, gone are the mini pop-symphonies of Dr. Dre, and in their place is a production attempting to be big like Dre, but failing miserably. 50 Cent without good production is like a bad bowler without bumper-lanes - all gutterballs.

50's G-Unit cronies don't offer up much support either: On tracks like "Groupie Love" and "I Smell Pussy" they reiterate the same old shtick so much that it's irritating these guys do actually get women.

If the new Jay-Z and G-Unit albums are engaged in battle on terms of album sales or quality, it's not even a contest. While Jay-Z's "The Black Album" is the best work of his illustrious career, with virtually no filler, G-Unit's "Beg For Mercy" is nothing but monotonous filler.

The battle between these two records is over, because it never really began. It was no contest.