Coheed and Cambria play D.C. tonight

"At one time I read an interview and they called us post-post hardcore," said bassist Mike Todd of Coheed and Cambria. "There are so many labels out there that people use ... If you want to call us emo, that's fine."

Whether the band is emo or post-hardcore, Coheed and Cambria is definitely adding something of its own in today's music. Formed in New York, the foursome just released its second album, "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3," which follows up "The Second Stage Turbine Blade," part of a planned four-album series.

"I think it's a much smarter record than the first one," Todd said. "We've been playing together for much longer, like touring and stuff. After the first record came out, we're just a lot more comfortable."

With a "music before message" philosophy, a lot of praise surrounds Coheed and Cambria's sophomore release. It includes some echoes from the first album, like the orchestrated medley in the song "Everything Evil," which Coheed managed to blend smoothly into the introduction of "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3." The vocal talents of singer-guitarist Claudio Sanchez are also more defined on songs like "The Camper Velorium I: Faint of Heart" and "A Favor House Atlantic." Each song tells a story that is supposed to be Sanchez's version of the Bible.

Another book, Sanchez's own science fiction novel, feature characters named Coheed and Cambria, thus inspiring the band's name.

"Claudio's writing it and working with an artist. They have the first issue to be done for 'The Second Stage Turbine Blade' by the spring time," Todd said. "The music pretty much comes first and while we're writing and tracking, that's when Claudio pretty much comes up with it. He writes real fast. Inspiration comes from everywhere, all his influences, all the horror stuff and the fantasy. He's a pretty complicated dude."

Coheed and Cambria will grace the stage opening for the sold-out Thursday and Thrice show tonight at the 9:30 club. To find out more visit www.coheedandcambria.com.