British Sea Power sets sail

British Sea Power

"The Decline of British Sea Power" (Sanctuary / Rough Trade)

3 / 4 stars

Hailing from Brighton, England, British Sea Power has taken the world by storm with its brand of somber, melancholic rock, possibly sealing the notion that the sun really won't set on the British Empire.

Elements of the group's bucolic upbringing can be found throughout its music, like in "Something Wicked" and "Childhood Memories," as well as its live performances: The band goes on daily sojourns to acquire proper local foliage for its stage set-up. However, the boys from the British countryside have no qualms with being elitist.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with being pretentious, as long as you don't mind looking stupid. They go hand in hand," said Yan, front-man and guitarist for British Sea Power.

With an album jacket reading, "British Sea Power's Classic The Decline Of British Sea Power," the boys of British Sea Power have no intentions of letting listeners dismiss their debut album. Since its formation three years ago, the band has felt the yin and the yang of indie music. Coming under the attack of closed-minded Joy Division fans and Interpol lovers alike, British Sea Patrol has felt the dagger drive deep in regard to its sound.

However, with bad often comes good - in the case of British Sea Power, the praise has been much more widespread than the verbal barbs, as both U.S. and British mainstream press have regaled the band. The band members themselves, perhaps the most important critics, have the most interesting outlook.

"I hear pain," bassist Hamilton said in regards to whether he hears the band's influences when listening to the record.

Yan seconded, saying "We don't really listen to our music."

Through "The Decline ...," British Sea Power has distilled some of the purest and most sensual aspects of music, successfully crafting an album attractive to both mature and malleable music fans alike. Brilliant and beautiful rock ballads like "Carrion" and "Remember Me" shimmer from guitarists Yan's and Noble's fingers like sunrays dancing off dewdrops. Tracks draped in warmth and tenderness like "Something Wicked" and "The Lonely," embrace listeners in the optimism of lead singer Yan's vocal style, which is somewhere between Robert Smith of the Cure and Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen, and comfort the soul with sober lyrics that make for a soothing juxtaposition to the delivery. However, in the end, the band shines on the gorgeous, enthralling "Fear of Drowning."

As one of many amazing new bands from the other side of the pond, British Sea Power has a lot of competition in attracting the American public.

"I don't listen to it," Yan said regarding his means of avoiding artists he doesn't like, namely Justin Timberlake, that have huge popularity with American music fans.

British Sea Power's artistry is on a level of worldwide tastes with something for everyone. Needless to say, the sea is mist-free for the band, and the future prospects look as inviting as could be desired.