Awareness fosters self-protection

Sex and Sensibility

I've lived in D.C. for over a year now, and so far my friends and I have been witness to about 18 burglaries, one attempted car-jacking, another attempted assault, along with other threats such as the sniper attacks and an anthrax scare. On top of the usual terrorism scares, this past week brought about attacks to students on campus and I must admit that I am a little afraid - not necessarily that I'm in danger all the time, but rather that things aren't as simple as they are when I'm home in the suburbs. It's apparent that people need to know how to defend themselves from whoever may pose a threat.

I once loved this man who I thought was everything. We had talked about marriage, and he had given me a promise ring. This boy was my entire existence; without him, I felt empty. We were together for three years and every day I only felt emptier. He began to keep tabs on me and wouldn't let me do anything without his permission. The months passed, and although he never hit me, he came close more than a couple of times.

Every time it happened I'd sit there and watch him, not able to move. It's not as though I couldn't walk or anything, I just didn't know what to do. Frozen in my tracks, if I had actually been hit, I would've had no idea what to do with myself. I don't know if I would've hit him back. I don't know if I would've even moved, or screamed for that matter. That's scary.

If you think about it, I don't believe most college students would know what to do if somebody attacked them. Initially, the blow itself might cause enough fear to stop somebody right in their tracks. I've been thinking a lot lately about techniques that both sexes could use to defend themselves quickly and effectively in case of an attack or threat. Living in a city, one can never be too sure when it comes to safety. I know that before this semester, I wasn't. The actual statistics are astounding. According to Joan Nelson's "Self-Defense," one out of five women over the age of 12 will be faced with rape or attempted rape at some time. Further, Nelson says 90 percent of victims know their attacker. As such, knowing how to defend yourself against those you do and don't know is extremely important, whether you're in a city or a suburb. The following defense tips can be found in Nelson's book.

One of the first things one can do to defend themselves is to take a personal inventory. Really think about whether you would be able to scream if you were attacked. Do you know what it's like to be hit hard in the stomach? Do you know what resources are available to help you? Are you aware of your surroundings at all times? Can the lock on your door be trusted? If you ask yourself questions like these you will mentally prepare yourself for situations that might occur. Therefore, if you unfortunately were attacked you'd be more likely to quickly process information.

Next, it's important to know how to make a fist properly to effectively punch. A punch can be thrown by either hand, and although it's simple by nature, it can break or snap your wrist if executed incorrectly. Begin by curling your fingers up into your fist. Make sure your hand is as tight as it can be, and that your thumb is outside perpendicular to your fingers. (If you don't keep your thumb to the side it can break easily.) Launch the punch with a sharp, short rotation to key targets: the solar plexus (located mid-chest level where ribs meet), knees and shins, the face, and of course the groin. On impact with the target, tighten the fist.

If somebody grabs you from behind try to broaden your base of support by widening your stance and bending your knees, lowering your center of gravity. Draw your hands out and up at the same time. Do this quickly, without warning, immediately after drawing your elbow back into the assailant's chest. If you're quick, thrust your elbow up behind your neck to hit the assailant's face, then quickly flip your elbow up on the other side. Your assailant probably won't be able to move quickly enough and will suffer a blow to the head.

These are only a few of many techniques you can do for defense. Try practicing them (carefully) with a friend. Trust your instincts. Although we may not all have boyfriends such as my ex, there are still some crazy people out there. I've seen some of it here in the District, and I'm sure that throughout my life I'll see much more. Only now, I'll at least know that I'll be able to fight back.