V-ball smashes PL competition

Lafayette and Lehigh had a chance to avenge earlier losses to AU Volleyball as the Eagles headed to Pennsylvania last week. But the result for this round of play was no different as the Eagles once again triumphed.

The Eagles and senior Karla Kucerkova were perfect as AU (13-8 overall, 9-0 Patriot League) swept matches at Lafayette (5-18, 0-9) and Lehigh (14-11, 5-4).

AU spoiled Lehigh's first match at the renovated Grace Hall Thursday by winning games 30-24, 30-24 and 30-24. The Eagles rarely relinquished the lead despite the close outcome of each game and being out-blocked 7-3.

Kucerkova smashed 27 kills against the Mountain Hawks. Her tally made for an average of nine kills per game for the match, a new AU record. This mark crushed the previous record of 5.33 kills per game, held by Lea Windlin since 1991.

The Eagles also won games from Lafayette Friday 30-17, 30-19 and 30-19 to keep the Leopards winless in conference play.

AU hit an impressive .505 attack percentage to Lafayette's paltry .209 percent as Kucerkova led all players with 19 kills. She also led the Eagles defensively with nine digs.

Junior Natacha Cornaz was a presence in front of the net as she elevated for two block solos and two block assists. She also had three service aces.

Junior Erin Allgaier, who last week earned PL Player of the Week honors, had nine kills in each match last week.

The Eagles host back-to-back PL competitors facing Holy Cross on Friday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. and Army on Saturday, Nov.1 at 7 p.m.