University life also brings responsibility

"The central commitment of American University is to the development of thoughtful, responsible human beings in the context of a challenging yet supporting community. To achieve its ends, an academic community requires the knowledge, integrity and decency of its members. The Student Conduct Code ... fosters the University's commitment to excellence and equity and affirms the shared values that make community life possible."

Source: The Student Conduct Code

I think there would be little argument in the statement that the years spent by many traditional undergraduates in university are formative and developmental years. After spending the majority of our lives learning the values of our close family and friends, a time comes where we determine which of those values fit appropriately with our own moral structures, as well as to incorporate new values.

During this period, college students begin to carve out their own identities, a process that is different for everyone. Some have relative ease in defining and presenting themselves, while others may never fully complete that process. Regardless of the outcome, for many it can also be a tumultuous process requiring more support than is commonly available in society at large.

Fortunately, colleges and universities provide an incubator for this change to occur. While AU may focus less on encouraging personal development than some of its peer institutions, the same basic educational philosophy still exists. Behaviors that, outside of the college environment, would be discouraged or handled harshly are managed much differently in the 'AU world.' Whereas arguing a philosophical point in the boardroom may result in a lost promotion, in the classroom it may be met with gratitude. And whereas being caught drinking underage on the National Mall may result in significant inconvenience and a police record, at AU the long term ramifications will probably be significantly less. This is because, as a university, an understanding of this transitional period exists and our judicial system focuses more on framing the results of those incidents as educational opportunities to grow and develop from, rather than being treated in a purely punitive manner. It's more, "Let's look at what you've done and examine why that was wrong" and less "Let's lock you up so you are out of my face."

Unfortunately, it would seem that some members of our community have chosen to either abuse the opportunity that has been granted to us or have a remarkably low learning curve. While I recognize that not every sanction through the University is framed to provide an educational opportunity, in many cases a learning component does exist and it is there to provide an opportunity for change. Recently, the 'Quad incident' led to around 85 students, who were identified as participants in damage around the University, and were requested to pay a restitution of $100 or to perform 10 hours of community service with Physical Plant Operations.

While I disagree with the particular sanction - (I feel that all involved should have mandatory service with the grounds staff instead of permitting those in more financially-solvent positions to buy their way out) the message is clear - irresponsible behavior does not have a place in our community and this is an opportunity for change.

One of the regrettable results of an educational judicial system is that students begin to feel insulated from real-world consequences and shirk the responsibility and accountability that come from being an adult member of society. At AU, drugs are sold and abused, theft (from the University, on-campus vendors, and other students) occurs, and even simple vandalism is rampant. As the justifications that they are 'just' taking a sign or 'just' pulling out 'a little grass' from the

Quad (read: several square feet of sod and holding it over their head as if a trophy) emerge, they are often followed by my favorite rationalization 'But, I pay $37,000 a year!' - do you? Really?

Well, I pay the same amount and it would seem that the boat you missed when it headed out this year was that, through our attendance at AU, we have signaled that we accept a wide range of academic and social standards that are specific to our institution and that are intended to help us in our transition to becoming responsible adults in society.

To those who have not accepted these standards, I would encourage you to evaluate the choices that you are making, both as a member of a small academic community and again as a member of civilized society. Hopefully some of you will find that stealing a bench from the front of an academic building, binge drinking and vomiting in the hallway of our home and destroying property - no matter what the circumstances - is unacceptable.

If you do not come to this conclusion or you can not learn from repeated educational sanctions, and you continue to defy policy without the impetus to produce change, please - I beg of you - leave. As I said last year and now affirm, a review of the AU Course Catalog shows no offerings of classes designed to teach you to act in a civilized way. I suppose I can also add irresponsible, immature, and a drain on our community resources to that list as well. While you may not be held to the standards of most adults, you certainly will not be held to the standards of petulant children either.

And finally, to the majority reading this, those who have chosen a standard to live by that is in tune with our community - I applaud you for choosing responsibility and civility during your transition into adult and public life.

- Tome Nielson is a senior in the School of Communication.