Porn star bio brings big talent

3 stars With Val Kilmer, Kate Bosworth, Josh Lucas, Dylan McDermott, Lisa Kudrow Directed by James Cox Running time: 109 minutes MPAA Rating: R

Val Kilmer's new film proves that a big tool doesn't make you a big man. Directed by James Cox, "Wonderland" stimulates the audience with breathtaking scenes of sex, drugs and murder. Former porn star John "Johnny Wadd" Holmes (Kilmer, "The Saint") shoots up and shoots off with his teenage girlfriend Dawn (Kate Bosworth, "Blue Crush") as he is sucked into the addictive world of L.A. glamour and hard drugs.

Cox's use of filters, frames and flashbacks complements the excellent acting in this true-story thriller about the 1981 murders on Wonderland Avenue in L.A.'s Laurel Canyon, home of many famous entertainment stars. Kilmer is brilliant as the excitable, drug-addled Holmes, who is very good at wheedling sympathy from his girlfriend. Dawn is entirely devoted to him and endures many tense moments to stay with Holmes, despite the best efforts from his wife Sharon Holmes (Lisa Kudrow, "Analyze That") to draw her away from him. Although Holmes tries to pass himself off repeatedly as the victim, it is clear that he is victimizing everyone around him.

When John gets mixed up in the world of drug dealers Ron (Josh Lucas, "A Beautiful Mind") and David (Dylan McDermott, "The Practice"), he is caught with his fly unzipped. John's lies and incompetencies sandwich him in the middle of two powerful kingpins, and he is the only one to make it out unscathed. Palestinian nightclub owner Eddie Nash (Eric Bogosian, "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle") is the most powerful man in L.A., but that doesn't stop John from playing him against Ron and his druggie henchmen. Bogosian is convincing as the lavish, macho playboy, and Lucas is superb as the gritty, ruthless, winner-take-all drug lord. The shirtless, gun-wielding Ron is as crazy as the men in "Fight Club," but smarter.

An interesting conflict between John and David presents two different flashbacks of the hit on Nash, which results in over $1 million in cash and drugs for Ron and his partners. The audience must decide for themselves which character to believe-both survived the retaliatory murders that Nash and his cronies exacted upon Ron's sortie. Both stories have convincing elements, but in the end it is clear who is telling the truth. The murder scenes are very graphic and gruesome and include long lead pipes and lots of blood. Although there is violence throughout the film, this scene is the most sickening and is not for the weak of stomach.

The gripping acting and camerawork are expertly executed, but the most amazing thing about this movie is that it is based on a true story. Cox consulted the real Sharon Holmes while making the film, which spreads an aura of realism over the hazy, dream-like world of "Wonderland." The closing scene reveals the true story of the major characters, where the audience learns that John was acquitted of all charges and that Nash received 37 months in prison for the murders-although he still lives in L.A. to this day. "Wonderland" features sterling acting, bit parts by Christina Applegate and Carrie Fisher, intriguing direction and production, and the perfect theme song-Golden Smog's "Shooting Star." Clearly "Wonderland" is a good choice for a variety of reasons.