Nutrition News

From a large number of beers to a large number of health side effects - too much alcohol consumption certainly causes nutritional damage.

Alcohol contains seven calories of energy per gram compared to nine calories from fat and four calories from carbohydrates. Once alcohol enters the body, the body stores the calories as fat and gets rid of the alcohol because of its toxicity. One drink takes about 90 minutes to metabolize. Fat from alcohol is usually stored in the abdomenal region, hence the term, "beer belly."

But alcohol is not only directly stored as fat, it also displaces precious nutrients that were already in your body.

Lastly, alcohol can contribute many calories without contributing any other nutrients. One mixed drink can offer up to 400 calories! A typical drink contains half an ounce of alcohol, which works out to 3 to 4 ounces of wine, 12 ounces of beer, and one and a half ounces of hard liquor.

Drinking is especially dangerous for pregnant women and often results in Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. With this, the alcohol disrupts the ability for the fetus to get enough oxygen and nourishment for normal cell development in the brain and organs.

Instead of consuming too much alcohol, students can partake in non-alcoholic drinks and go to events that do not involve alcohol, or drink in moderation, having a glass of water between each alcoholic drink to slow down the rate of consumption.

Sources: Professor Anastasia Snelling and the book, "Discovering Nutrition."

Nutrition News is a weekly column compiled and contributed by Professor Anastasia Snelling's Nutrition Class.