Nutrition News

A weekly column compiled and contributed by Professor Anastasia Snelling's Nutrition Class.

In October, students approach midterms and stay busy trying to maintain some kind of social life. However, in and outside the microcosm of college, others are busy promoting National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Every year, 182,000 women are diagnosed with breast cancer and 43,300 women die from it. One out of eight women either has or will develop breast cancer in her lifetime. Also, an estimated 1,600 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 400 will die this year. However, these statistics could be changed by taking early steps in detecting breast cancer. If breast cancer is identified early on, the five-year survival rate exceeds 95 percent, according to www.thebreastcancersite. com.

The exact causes of breast cancer remain unknown. Yet scientists have identified a number of risk factors. Some, such as age, are beyond a person's control, while others, like drinking habits, can be modified. About 80 percent of breast cancer develops in women over the age of 50. Also, if a woman has already had breast cancer, she has a greater chance of developing a new cancer in the other breast. However, about 85 percent of women with breast cancer do not report a history of breast cancer in their families.

Scientists have found several preventative measures against breast cancer. Daily physical activity and the consumption of whole grains, fiber-rich foods, and five to nine servings of fresh fruits and vegetables provide antioxidants and are said to help prevent breast cancer. Scientists suggest people limit sugar and saturated fat intake, avoid microwaving food in plastic containers and avoid contact with petroleum and pesticides. Lastly, maintaining a healthy weight and managing your stress will help reduce your risk for breast cancer, according to an article in The Maryland Gazette.

For more information on breast cancer, visit the National Breast Cancer Foundation site, www.nationalbreastcancer.org. Another site worth seeing is the National Alliance of Breast Cancer organizations, www.nabco.org. Both offer many ways to show support for the breast cancer cause. Some activities include cutting and donating one's hair to Locks of Love, an organization that uses donated hair to make wigs for children with cancer. People can also raise breast cancer awareness by wearing a pink ribbon and reminding people to perform monthly self-checks of their breasts. Statistically, 70 percent of all breast cancers are found through self-exams. Every three minutes a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer, but self-checking and increased awareness could make a change.