Music Notes

limpbizkit "Results May Vary" (Flip/Interscope)

2 / 4 stars

Formerly known as Limp Bizkit, limpbizkit has experienced a lot of changes since its last release "Chocolate Starfish and The Hot Dog Flavored Water." The most notable change, besides the name revision, is the departure of guitarist Wes Borland and the induction of guitarist Mike Smith, formerly of Snot. "Results May Vary" is a defiant attempt to distance the band from the more rap-oriented "Chocolate Starfish." The new, more rock-oriented "Results May Vary" contains only one truly awful rap collaboration, "Red Light Green Light" featuring Snoop Dogg. Of course, singer Fred Durst has his own ridiculously bad rap tirades on a few songs, but many are decent rock songs such as the singles "Eat You Alive," "Lonely World," "Phenomenon," "Creamer" and "Head for the Barricade."

"Results May Vary" lacks the anger and emotion of "3 Dollar Bill Y'all," the catchiness of "Significant Other" and the pop appeal of "Chocolate Starfish." Finally the mellowed out cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" may be a disappointment for the Who fans, but it is a fairly good cover considering it could have been way over the top. Unfortunately, Pete Townshend's name is misspelled in the credits. But overall most of the songs on "Results May Vary" seem like bigger mistakes than this small typo.

- JORGE DEL PINAL

Stellastarr "Stellastarr" (RCA )

3.5 / 4 stars

Sadly, detractors have objected to Stellastarr's heavily '80s-influenced art school energy. They'll claim Stella is just another revival band mirroring the typical New York formula of success: pick a critically acclaimed distinct rock band that existed pre-1990, bastardize its songs via unlocking formulas, play free shows at the Luna Lounge to impel a sea of hype (propaganda) and appear as if you don't give a damn. Such was the success for the Strokes and Interpol. And countless bands, especially "the" bands, have aimed to follow with such triumphs: enter the Mooney Suzuki and the French Kicks. While Stellastarr follows two of the aforementioned steps to success, it is not another image-conscious group of New York clowns trying to capitalize on a trend. The convincingly vivid howl of frontman Shawn Christensen combined with the sonic assault of Arthur Kremer's epic skin-pounding as well as Michael Jurin's goth guitar craftsmanship set the band apart. Bass-slinger Amanda Tannen also plays a pivotal role in the band. Her call and response brand of backup vocals often provokes comparisons to a young Kim Deal.

- COSTA CALOUDAS

Die Trying "Die Trying" (Island)

3 / 4 stars

Die Trying, of Sacramento, Calif., is the audio equivalent of an awesome summer action blockbuster movie: loud, male-oriented, fairly predictable, but often very fun. Die Trying rocks hard from start to finish over 12 tracks on its eponymous Island Records debut.

The band's style falls somewhere between stressed out on tracks like "One Day at A Time," to the awesome single "Oxygen's Gone," to the cockiness of "Dirty Dirty." The chorus is, "I know what girls want, I know what girls like, I got it inside, Dirty Dirty."

Obviously Die Trying is not out to create a musical evolution. The band seems to want to rock out and have fun. Fans of bands like Papa Roach, whose singer, Jacoby Shaddix, got Die Trying signed also appears on the song "Conquer The World," Alien Ant Farm, Saliva and Hoobastank will probably like Die Trying.

- JORGE DEL PINAL

Various Artists "Horatio's Drive" (Sony Records)

3 / 4 stars

The soundtrack to Ken Burns' latest documentary "Horatio's Drive," which depicts the first cross country road trip in 1903, is consistent with the rich tapestry of nostalgia usually found in his detailed films. The LP is composed of roots music that dates back to before any notion of modern jazz or country existed.

The sounds of turn-of-the-century country music dominate the album, with many tracks by Bobby Horton a long forgotten jazz and country guitarist and banjo player. The Horton tracks are mixed well with dixieland jazz from the late 1910s, spoken word tracks by Tom Hanks reading from Horatio's diary, and miscellaneous music from various country artists and Burns' composer Jacqueline Schwab. The album plays like road music for those with an extreme preference for country. If you have such a preference definitely check this one out. Otherwise, it's an acquired taste, at best, for modern listeners.

- NEAL FRESKO

Sting "Sacred Love" (A& M Records)

3.5 / 4 stars

Sting's most recent release, "Sacred Love" offers a worldly variety of pop-rock ballads, the fusion of international dance beats and emotional lyrics and vocals. "Send Your Love" presents a Latin beat, similar to that of Enrique Iglesias, but with Middle Eastern riffs and a funky lounge beat. A remix of "Love" closes the disc with even more sounds and risk-taking. "Dead Man's Rope" is a soothing ballad showing off Sting's sensitive side, with raw instruments, gentle guitar strumming and chilling harmonies. "Whenever I Say Your Name" features Mary J. Blige adding an R&B/soul flavor and an intense climax with strong belts and a strong gospel call and response.

On "This War," the classic electric guitar drives the song with energy and force. Anoushka Shankar appears on "The Book of My Life," and percussionist Rhani Krija, meshes his sounds well with dreamy vocals and exotic pauses. It is evident that Sting has a great appreciation for world music as he captures many of these sounds in his progressive new work.

- MIKE MENACHEM

Jackson "Jackson" (Magnificent Records)

3 / 4 stars

Full-time Foo Fighters guitarist Chris Shiflett fronts the power-pop trio Jackson, which just released its debut EP on Magnificent Records. Shiflett, who used to play guitar in pop-punk band No Use For a Name and still plays with punk's cover kings, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes, is joined with his brother Scott on bass and Vagrant records "in-house" drummer Pete Parada on drums, who has played on albums by Saves the Day and Face to Face.

Jackson's debut EP has five solid tracks combining Weezer-ish riffs with a Foo Fighters sensibility. Shiflett has a good voice, but it lacks the presence of a Dave Grohl or Rivers Cuomo. Like the latest records from Phantom Planet and Rooney, Jackson's hook-heavy assault is relentless. The best song on the EP, "Here Comes the Hollow," employs a catchy chorus with palm-muted verses.

"Jackson" is a promising collection of songs that proves the band has a bright future. Jackson will play the Black Cat on Nov. 13 opening for adolescent pop-punk band Sugarcult and rockers Story of the Year.

- DANIEL LONGINO

Motion City Soundtrack "I am the Movie" (Epitaph)

2.5 / 4 stars

"I am the Movie" contains 14 of the same song; each sounds slightly different, with different lyrics, but ultimately it's the same song over and over again. The problem may lie in the production of the CD; some unskilled producer must have thought it would be a good idea to blend the vocals and instrumental parts together so completely that the music sounds totally flat.

Only two songs on the album, "The Future Freaks Me Out" and "A-OK," almost escape the monotonous quality and are actually pretty catchy, but two out of 14 is not a passing grade.

Motion City Soundtrack's music is boring pop-rock with a wannabe-punk sound and very basic lyrics. It's good background noise, but in the end, it's mediocre music with no edge or distinguishing qualities.

- EMILY ZEMLER