Music Notes

Album reviews from The Eagle

Officer May "Smoking in A Minor" (Ace Fu Records) 3.5 stars

From the relatively unknown Officer May comes the album "Smoking in A Minor," crafting its own sound that is original and enjoyable, though its influences are apparent.

It is hard to tell who the lead singer sounds more like: Kurt Cobain or Rick Froberg of Drive Like Jehu. Either way, the vocals bring the inspired lyrics to life. The record also consists of aggressive drumming combined with solid bass lines and good, but not overly complicated, guitar parts.

"The Big Bang" is a grunge-inspired rock song that makes a guy think flannel is still cool. But the best song may be "Slow Burn," which moves from loud to soft and back again until its powerful end.

While it may not be the best record ever created, there seems to be no major flaws with "Smoking in A Minor," and Officer May deserves some recognition.

- GARRETT KARRBERG

Mushroomhead "XIII" (Universal/Filthy Hands) 3 stars

The newest release from Mushroomhead is a fitting continuation to its debut major label release "XX." As one of the last costumed metal bands still standing, Mushroomhead is still going strong. Though "XIII" lacks some of the diversity in style found on "XX," it still is a solid sophomore release.

For fans of the eight-piece metal monster and those intrigued by the disturbing makeup and bizarre body suits, "XIII" has a lot to offer. The lead track, "Kill Tomorrow" is a strong beginning to the album, leading right into the single, "Sun Doesn't Rise." With unrelenting lyrics and melody, "Sun Doesn't Rise" is the best track on the album. "One More Day" incorporates a female guest vocalist and is more ballad-esque. However, it continues on right into "The Dream is Over," which brings back the heavier double-bass death metal style. Though "XIII" is more homogenized than some of its earlier works, Mushroomhead is breaking into the metal scene faster than ever

- SCOTT SHOLDER

The Raveonettes "Chain Gang of Love" (Columbia Records) 2 stars

Something rotten's from the state of Denmark.

Danish band The Raveonettes - get it? "rave on!" - composed of Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo, have the kind of vacant-eyed Euro model look that seems a requirement of all garage bands. Their prettiness is a major warning sign - after all, most great bands are hideously ugly: see Radiohead.

The cover of The Raveonettes's new album, "Chain Gang of Love," announces that its content was composed entirely in B-flat Major. Why anyone would do such a thing is hard to say. Perhaps it has something to do with socialism.

The songs are vacuous, overly-produced pop creations expected to succeed these days simply because they're recorded by a girl-boy duo. The retro, country-punk tunes are watered-down versions of The White Stripes' efforts. It's possible that The Raveonettes sound less mind-numbing live, but don't bother with the record unless you're looking for some inoffensive background noise.

- ALANNA SCHUBACH

High On Fire "Surrounded By Thieves" (Relapse Records) 3 stars

High on Fire, a "power-trio" that arose from the ashes of the dreamy stoner metal gods Sleep, recently released "Surrounded By Thieves." This record picks up where Sleep guitarist, Matt Pike, left off, bringing the sludgy, dragged-out, heavy-as-hell metal and pit-of-the-stomach deep gnarls pulsating out of the speakers of true heavy-music connoisseurs.

From the onset of the opening track, "Eyes and Teeth," Pike grumbles mysticism about monsters and evil over throbbing low-end and cutting guitar chords, and much the same continues for 40 minutes, with the occasional inclusion of a shredding guitar solo.

"Surrounded By Thieves" is a record that should definitely be put on and just listened to in its entirety, preferably while under the some kind of influence. High on Fire has succeeded in releasing a record that just growls "quintessential stoner metal record."

- MATT RAJPUT

An Albatross "We Are The Lazer Viking" (Ace Fu) 3 stars

Simple, precise and honest are the only words to describe the enigma that is An Albatross. With the release of "We Are The Lazer Viking," EP, this description has been solidified in musical history, as the first song "I Am The Lazer Viking" explains: "Baby, this rock 'n' roll / Baby, will soothe your soul."

A mixture of guttural vocals, waves of Nintendo-esque keyboards, dancing bass riffs and vengeful guitar, An Albatross stirs up a dance floor spasm. At eight minutes and 22 seconds, this 11 track EP defiantly shoves its face into the industry dogma of three-minute songs. A remix of "Electric Suits and Cowboy Boots," "The Revolutionary Politics of Dance" and "The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust," represent the 45- to 60-second stand-outs on An Albatross' sophomore effort.

An Albatross is playing at the Black Cat on Oct. 26. for $5, which, if the videos on the CD version of this EP correctly document, will be an insane show.

- ALEX KARGHER

Susheela Raman "Love Trap" (Virgin Records) 3 stars

"Love Trap," the sophomore effort from Susheela Raman, a British musician with Indian heritage, is a cultural melting pot of several genres that is sure to please most world music fans, however, it is not going to cross over into the pop market any time soon.

On stand-out tracks like "Bliss" and the opening title track "Love Trap," Raman combines seductive vocals with small-time club grooves to create a relaxed, atmospheric chill-out record. She is able to blend acoustic guitars with trip-hop vocals without a disruptive contrast. While Raman's talent as a singer is clear, her voice lacks a commanding force to make you want to get up and dance - she's no Donna Summer. However, Raman does deliver a solid ambient music that provides an interesting fusion of several different cultural styles.

- DANIEL LONGINO