Insane fans greet clowns

Insane Clown Posse returns to Nation

A line of painted faces filled the sidewalks bordering Nation Tuesday night as the Wicked Wonka tour came to D.C. On the bill were Insane Clown Posse, Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony, the Kottonmouth Kings and Tech Nin9. In spite of the numerous major-label acts appearing on the tour, it was clear that most of the crowd was there to see the Insane Clown Posse. From up to two blocks away, bottles of the Detroit brand soda, Faygo, lined gutters and echoes of the crowd outside the club chanting "I-C-P" could be heard.

Even from this distance it was clear these were the most hardcore fans any group in music could have. Insane Clown Posse has created a gang through its music. "Juggalos," as they prefer to be called, make up the Posse's following and represent the majority of its fan base. "I'mma be down with the clown till I'm dead in the ground" is the motto that they live by and openly express. In 1997 the ultimate test for followers came when the clowns told the Disney company that if Insane Clown Posse was not released from its record contract, the posse and the juggalos would burn down the Magic Kingdom. Disney released the Posse to Island Records.

The concert began with Tech Nin9 taking the stage highly energized, and ready to please the crowd. As the performance ended, the crowd immediately chanted for ICP to take the stage. Tech Nin9 was followed by a meager and repetitive performance from the Kottonmouth Kings, and a set by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony best defined as dull. By 10 p.m. Insane Clown Posse burst on stage with at least a 1,000 people surging forward.

The ICP set was reminiscent of Willy Wonka's candy factory with oversized gadgets, rotating gears, large colorful vats of sparkling Faygo, and Shaggy 2 Dope and Violent J dressed in yellow jumpsuits with multicolored top hats. As soon as the duo began performing, what seemed like a tsunami of soda was unleashed upon anxious fans. To many juggalos Faygo is an integral part of the concert experience.

As hundreds of bottles were blasted, thrown or kicked off stage, audience members reached for them and either drank and passed it around, or continued spraying it on those nearby. Unfortunately, ICP used cola Tuesday, which does not have the same strong smell as the band's traditional choice of root beer.

As Shaggy and Violent J continued an amazing set, people dressed as oompa-loompas, bats and over-sized toys roamed the stage, refilling the buckets of Faygo and spraying the audience. From a performance standpoint, this show brought unimaginable sets, props and costumes that would leave both Marilyn Manson and Gwar with their jaws hanging in amazement and envy.

Musically, the set featured many of the ICP's great songs, mostly coming from its third album "Riddle Box" and the most recent sixth album, "The Wraith: Shangri-La." As familiar songs filled the room, members of the audience began to sing-along.

The performance reached its high, during "The Unveiling," which is an anthem to ICP's fans. Throughout the song, not only were the clowns met by the voices of juggalos chanting the lyrics, but also

by all the members of the other acts on the tour who joined ICP on stage to finish the night. Finally, millions of pieces of glitter fell upon the audience to simulate raining diamonds, and foretold in the last album.

Around 11:20 p.m., the concert let out. Hordes of people with smeared face paint and doused in glitter and soda, left for their cars or the Metro. Upon entering the Navy Yard Metro station, one could not avoid hearing the chants and regurgitated lyrics that filled the tunnels after a night of familial bonds between the juggalos and the Insane Clown Posse.