From the Eagle sports desk

Triple take for field hockey players in PL, team ranked No. 19 by National Coaches Poll

The Field Hockey team had a big week with three members earning Patriot League Player of the Week awards and securing the 19th rank by the 2003 STX/ NFHCA Division 1 National Coaches Poll for the week of Oct. 12.

Senior Melissa Snyder was named Offensive Player of the Week for leading her team to a shut out victory over Lehigh, 5-0. Snyder scored four goals off only five shots. Snyder receives this award for the first time this season and leads the team with nine goals.

Senior Laura Miller once again took home Defensive Player of the Week for the fourth time this season. In the game against James Madison, Miller stopped 18 corner shots. Not to mention, in the Lehigh match-up Miller tallied her fourth shut out of the year facing five shots.

Freshman Camila Infante received her first PL Rookie of Year. She leads the league in assists and shots per game, and scored game-winning goals against JMU and Lehigh.

The team has gained the No. 19 spot after defeating JMU and Lehigh. The team has lost only one game to No. 14 Richmond. The Eagles are the only team in the PL to be ranked in the top 20.

AU goes up against fellow PL competitor at Holy Cross at Noon on Saturday, Oct. 18.