For a laugh and a half

Margaret Cho and her controversial brand of humor have come and gone, but the D.C. area is still a great place to see comedy. Both D.C. and Baltimore play host to a variety of clubs and restaurants that feature nightly comedic acts that are sure to tickle anyone's funny bone.

D.C. Improv

This club is known as one of D.C.'s best comedy clubs and features surprisingly well-known comedians. This month The Improv boasts Charles Fleischer, notable as the voice of Roger Rabbit, and HBO's Robert Schimmel, among many others. The club is located downtown, only one block from the Farragut North Metro stop, and provides its guests with food, drink and comedy for a moderate price. Tickets range between $10 and $25 and there is two-item minimum per person (meaning you have to order two food or drink items). For a listing of upcoming shows and more information, visit www.dcimprov.com.

Teddy's House of Comedy

Located in Chinatown, this club is owned and operated by Teddy Carpenter, know for his stints on BET and HBO. Carpenter's connections to the comedy world allow him to book well-known comedians, like Eddie Griffin and Sheryl Underwood. There is a two-drink minimum, and food is also served. For more information call (202) 289-1695.

The Warner Theatre

The Warner Theatre is mostly known for its plays and mature musical performances - Duran Duran, anyone? - but occasionally it hosts a celebrity comedian. Earlier this month the theater presented Comedy Central stand-up Dave Attell. Today and tomorrow, cross-dresser Eddie Izzard will fill the stage with his latest show, "Sexie." For tickets and more information, visit www.warnertheatre.com.

The Capital Steps

Political-satire comedy troupe, The Capital Steps, performs every Friday and Saturday night at Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center at 7:30 p.m. in the amphitheater. Tickets for the show are $31.50. If this price is too high for that college-budget, the troupe usually performs at Welcome Week every fall at AU - so just wait a while. For more information on the troupe visit www.capsteps.com. For tickets visit www.ticketmaster.com.

Comedy Factory

The Comedy Factory has been the premier place to see comedy in Baltimore for more than 10 years. The club is located in Burke's Restaurant and hosts comedy shows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. The club features several comedians each night. Tickets for all shows cost $12. For a listing of shows, tickets and more information visit www.comedyfactoryoutlet.com.

Baltimore Improv

The Baltimore Improv appears to host some of the more well-known comedians of all the clubs in the Baltimore area. Next month the club will present numerous celebrities, including Brett Butler and Andy Dick. Visitors can choose whether they attend a dinner show when purchasing their tickets. The Improv is located in downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor. For a listing of events, tickets and more information visit www.symfonee.com/Improv/Baltimore.

What's your favorite joke? Compiled by Dan Longino

"Sex is like a bank account. You put it in, you take it out, you lose interest." - James Gardner, sophomore

"What do you call cheese that's not yours? Nacho Cheese!" - Dave Bashein, sophomore

"What did the bathtub say to the toilet bowl? I may not get as much ass as you do, but I don't take no shit." - KATIE ADAMS, sophomore

"This lady goes to the grocery store and she gets to the checkout counter. She's checking her stuff out and she puts down a head of lettuce and some tomatoes, a loaf of bread, some mac and cheese and some juice. And the cashier's like 'You must be single.' And the lady goes, 'Oh, well I am single, but how did you know?' And the guy looks at her and goes 'Well, no one would date a girl as ugly as you," - Will Gordon, junior.