Common cures for the common cold

With Mom not around to provide chicken soup, it can be difficult to beat a cold on campus. Follow these steps and be back on track faster than you can say, "Ah-choo!"

Step 1: Sleep. Many students are susceptible to colds because they are overworked and exhausted. A good night's sleep will help return a sick person to health. By catching up on sleep, students can gain back energy.

Step 2: Drink. Students can treat their colds by drinking fluids and sleeping in a moist environment. Drinking water and hot teas will hydrate the body. Often, chicken soup helps those with colds. Sleeping in the same room as a humidifier can also be a big help by lessening congestion.

Step 3: Drugs. Decongestants and antihistamines can be bought at practically any local pharmacy or drug store. Decongestants such as Sudafed and antihistamines such as Benadryl will reduce nasal drainage. Nasal sprays, like Afrin, will also make the sick more comfortable.

Step 4: Lozenges. Zinc gluconate lozenges reduce symptoms by about three days if taken within the first 24 hours when symptoms occur. These lozenges taste like candy and will coat the throat, which will help a sick student feel better. Step 5: Vitamins. Many natural products can be used to help the sick feel better. Vitamin C can help reduce the duration of the common cold. Vitamin C is an ascorbic acid, which can be taken as a nutritional supplement. It can be found in many foods such as citrus fruits, some vegetables, and rose hips. The herb Echinacea can also be prepared a number of different ways to treat a cold. It is an herb that aids in fighting infection and illness. Like every other herb, it should be taken at the onset of the first symptoms of a cold. Astralagus is a Chinese herbal remedy that is thought to have anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and immune system-enhancing properties.

Step 6: Wives' tales. There are many popular folk remedies that can be used to try to lessen the severity of a cold. While some say that chewing on a honeycomb can help clear sinus passages, others suggest making a "remedy" from a half cup of molasses, one teaspoon of Jamaica ginger, and one-fourth teaspoon of soda. Tradition says that fresh garlic cloves, chopped or crushed, release allicin, which has antibacterial properties. It is a home remedy used at the onset of the first cold symptoms. Goldenseal is a native American plant, which was used by Cherokee Indians to heal wounds. It also has disinfectant properties and can enhance the healing of sore throats by gargling a goldenseal solution.

While these steps may help reduce symptoms, it's hard to completely cure the common cold. Often, only time can heal those trying to recover. By following the steps listed above, sick students can relieve their symptoms.