Weekend Hot Spots

Thursday, Sept. 25

QUASI at the Black Cat, $10 Indie rock super duo, Quasi, features versatile instrumentalist and singer Sam Coomes with ex-wife Janet Weiss (of Sleater-Kinney fame) out of Portland, Ore. While their marriage crumbled, their creative relationship remains intact. Quasi is touring in support of its latest effort, "Hot Shit." Like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, the current political state inspired a traditionally non-political band to release a record with a protest theme. Doors open at 8:30 p.m.

Friday, Sept. 26

BATTLE OF THE SEXES at the Black Cat, $5 The Black Cat continues its backstage weekend dance parties with Battle of the Sexes: First Ladies DJ Collective v. The Corruption Boys. Doors open at 9:30 p.m.

THE PIETASTERS and RIVER CITY REBELS at the 9:30 club, $12 D.C. ska-punks the Pietasters brings its diverse ska meets Motown sound back home in the middle of a national tour. Put on your tie, lace up your shoes and skank the night away.

"AFROPUNK: THE ROCK 'N' ROLL BLACK EXPERIENCE" at the Charm City Art Space, $5 Screening of a documentary exploring the treatment of blacks in a predominantly white music scene. The film explores how punk, hardcore and indie rock has embraced and discouraged participation of black musicians and music fans. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 27

THURSDAY, YEAR OF THE RABBIT, DEATH BY STEREO at the Black Cat, $15 MTV2's favorite screamo sons, Thursday, tour in support of its major label debut, "War All the Time." The show will most likely sell out, but have no fear as Thursday will play the 9:30 club in November.

Sunday, Sept. 28

NADA SURF and OZMA at the Black Cat, $10 Brooklyn trio Nada Surf makes its triumphant return to D.C. in support of "Let Go," its third and best record that combines the power-pop of its debut "High/Low" with the melancholy introspectiveness of "the Proximity Effect." Weezer fan-boys, Ozma, tours with Nada Surf in support of its most mature record yet, "Spending Time on the Borderline." Doors open at 8:30 p.m.

AVAIL and DARKEST HOUR at the Ottobar, $10 Richmond's favorite punk band Avail brings its ephemeral anthems to Baltimore's favorite venue. Known for having one of the most enrapturing live shows, and one of the more exciting pits, the band's repertoire features a modern, unique amalgam of hardcore and punk. Darkest Hour, a D.C. area thrash metal band, accompanies Avail. Darkest Hour totally embraced the Gothenburg style of In Flames and At the Gates on its latest release "Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation." Not a show for the faint of heart, these two bands represent two of the area's bigger artists for those interested in the local scene. Doors open at 7 p.m.