Pricey, jazzy entertainment

Epic Georgetown club offers more than your usual case of the blues

The piano, bass and drums of the Danilo Perez Trio offered a two set, hour and a half jam session that mesmerized the packed audience at Blues Alley Friday night. This contemporary jazz group added ingenuity and a Latin spice that injected the air with a unique rhythm. The band had a great time and each member seemed to be excited about what the others would do next. Creativity and improvisation ran rampant on stage, a usual offering at Blues Alley.

Music is always the main event at Blues Alley, where, contrary to its name, the hottest stuff is live jazz, not necessarily blues. Artists perform nightly at 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. and new acts constantly emerge. Several world-renowned performers have graced the Blues Alley stage over the years, including Dizzy Gillespie, Nancy Wilson, Grover Washington Jr., Charlie Byrd and Eva Cassidy. The names and memorabilia of its most acclaimed "alums" are scattered on the club's walls.

Most people arrive around 7 p.m., eat dinner and then settle in to watch the show. Conversation is generally discouraged during the set and cell phone interruptions are absolutely taboo. On more than one occasion last Friday night, patrons hushed others who did not heed these rules. While the prices were high at $20 per plate, the Creole cuisine tasted great. Spicy food dominates the menu, but the kitchen also provides milder alternatives. During the 10 p.m. show large-portion appetizers are another option. The wait staff was friendly, organized and efficient, and even while serving a tight web of tables, they were by no means a distraction to the main event.

The mostly middle-aged customers seemed delighted to see a couple of college students enjoying a meal and good music. The intimate setting provided the opportunity to engage in interesting conversation with the tipsy veteran enthusiasts at nearby tables.

The small stage that leaves little distance between performers and their audiences, as well as the dim lights, close tables and brick walls, gives Blues Alley a look and feel very similar to that of old jazz clubs.

An evening at Blues Alley promises to be an entertaining one, but it comes with a high price tag. In addition to food and drink, the Alley adds a $20 cover charge per person. Still, the quality of the music, the food and the atmosphere is indisputable and parents' weekend is right around the corner.

Blues Alley

1073 Wisconsin Ave.

(202) 337-4141

Dinner served starting at 6 p.m.

Shows at 8 and 10 p.m. daily

Dress: Business casual.

Take any even-numbered 30 bus or bus 35 from Tenleytown to Wisconsin Avenue and M Street. Cross M Street and walk down the first alley on your left off Wisconsin Avenue.