Nutrition News

For the relatively fit who can stand the heat, Bikram's Hot Yoga may be the latest way to flex muscles and shed unwanted pounds. Named for its innovator, Bikram Choudury, this strenuous type of yoga performed at temperatures reaching into the hundreds was designed to increase body movements and enhance stretching without injury.

This challenging practice has appealed to an estimated three million men and women at more than 650 Bikram Yoga College of India studios worldwide. While other innovative forms of exercise have developed over recent years, including Tae Bo and Pilates, this new "extreme sport" of hot yoga has people "sweating" its techniques and results. Hot yoga entails being in a room with temperatures as high as 105 degrees with humidity at 60 percent as participants undergo about 26 poses. The high temperature allows the muscles to warm up faster, which helps in flexibility. One session can burn between 350 and 500 calories.

Although hot yoga is the new craze in town, science has yet to confirm its advantages. For now, experts recommend that beginners start slowly and get a doctor's OK before taking a class. Also, participants must drink water regularly. A person should drink about half his or her body weight to keep hydrated and healthy while participating.

Ashley Flanigan and Kendra Marie-King, AU Women's Lacrosse coaches, attended both yoga and hot yoga classes. Marie-King, who did not like regular yoga but enjoyed the hot yoga class, said "Hot yoga is more intense and it doesn't seem to drag on like regular yoga did."

Flanigan previously enjoyed yoga, but said she noticed a difference after just two hot yoga sessions, much faster than results obtained in yoga. "I love it, it is intense but relaxing."

Flanigan and Marie-King agreed that the heightened temperature led to less strain and better stretching.

For more information on hot yoga, visit www.hotyogausa.com or www.georgetownyoga.com or call (202) HOT-YOGA. Bentley Storm Hot Yoga is located in Suite 205 at 3408 Wisconsin Ave., NW. Classes cost $10 for students with an ID.