Memorial events to attend around D.C.

Sept. 11: A day to remember

Today, the second anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, several organizations in the area are commemorating the tragedy through speakers, drama and exhibits.

D.C. Anti-War Network The D.C. Anti-War Network has organized a vigil at the White House for noon today. The vigil is meant to wish for an end to the war on terror. The group is also having an anti-war rally at Dupont Circle at 6 p.m. The rally is meant to commemorate lives lost in terrorist attacks and will also advocate an end to the current "war on terrorism." The rain date for the rally is Friday at 6 p.m.

National Cathedral The Dalai Lama, spiritual leader of Tibetan Buddhists, will speak about peace and compassion as an antidote to violence and hatred, according to the cathedral's Web site. He will also lead a devotional ceremony.

The Dalai Lama will speak at 4 p.m. with doors opening at 2:30. The event is free.

The National Cathedral is located at the intersection of Massachusetts and Wisconsin avenues.

National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution The museum will have a new commemorative display of artifacts related to the attacks. The display, "Collecting September 11," will have items such as former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani's work boots from the day of the attacks, a column of reinforced steel from the Pentagon and the American flag that was on the west wall of the Pentagon.

The exhibit opened Wednesday.

The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily and is at the National Mall at 14th Street and Constitution Avenue NW. Admission is free.

Quotidian Theatre at the Writer's Center The Quotidian Theatre will premiere the play "September 11th Was a Tuesday," at the Writer's Center tonight. It depicts the events of Sept. 11 through the stories of people who were at the Pentagon, and portrays their lives in the weeks after, according to Willie Davis, executive director of the Writer's Center.

Tickets cost $15 and $12 for students.

The show plays Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through Oct. 12. The theater is at 4508 Walsh St., Bethesda, Md. near the Bethesda metro stop.