Hirshorn exhibit alters perspectives

Many students shy away from contemporary art because they feel they cannot understand it. "Gyroscope," the new exhibit at the Hirshhorn Museum, rearranges its more than 40 piece collection of contemporary art to ease the public's nerves about viewing modern art.

One should not feel intimidated because all that this modern art exhibit seems to seek to do is inspire one's own interpretation. "Gyroscope" finds a way to make art engaging and relevant for all its visitors. The art works and installations in "Gyroscope" are symbolic, yet personal, in that they feature art in relation to larger issues.

On the lower level, one walks into a room with different pieces depicting the nude body. Such an array of different interpretations, like Ron Mueks poignant "Untitled (Big Man)" (2000), opens the eyes to how one can capture the essence of the person. This is contrasted with a stark room of objects, such as Doris Salcedo's cement-filled armoire pierced by a bed frame.

This lower level engages spectators in the most relatable presentation of modern art, using an unconventional combination. It reminds the viewer that art is an integral part of contemporary life, not just a bunch of removed objects.

Swiss artist Beat Streuil's three-screen video installation "Broadway/ Prince Street 01-04" (2001-2002) offers a compelling portrait of the anonymity and haste of a crowded Manhattan street corner.

On the upper level floors, it may be difficult to decipher any deeper messages that the artists may be striving to convey. Some rooms have themes ranging from despair or a dedication to an artist, like the three small still-life pieces by Giorgio Morandi.

One second floor highlight and recent addition to the museum is the installation by Ann Hamilton, entitled "at hand" (2001). In the work white sheets of paper fall, undetermined, into an accumulation of piles on the floor.

The most interesting part about the exhibit is the wide range of different interpretations viewers can walk away with, which is why most of the works have no tags beside them to offer any form of description.

The exhibit is meant to be an experience for the spectator. The name "Gyroscope" does imply spinning, and just like the Hirshhorn Museum's building is curved, so is this an exploration into oneself, the artist, and the world.

Reflecting the Hirshhorn's commitment to innovative museum practices, "Gyroscope" is a program of research and development into new models for presenting the art of our time. The exhibit will also extend beyond the museum's walls by putting up large-scale photographic images, "Untitled (For Jeff) by Felix Gonzalez-Torres, of the palm of an extended hand. These will be installed at sites throughout D.C., Maryland and Virginia.

Many of the pieces in "Gyroscope" come from the permanent collection, but the new installations and artworks will be placed on view throughout the museum through Jan. 4. The Hirshhorn Museum is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., seven days a week, and is located at Independence Avenue and Seventh Street, SW. Admission is free.