Get turned on, but don't get caught

Sex and Sensibility

I am not a member of the Mile High Club, but I know many people who are. It's not as though I don't want to "do it" in the bathroom stall of an airplane. I just haven't had anybody to "do it" with when it was possible. It seems to me that having sex in forbidden places is making a comeback.

However, defining a forbidden place may be necessary since people think many things when "forbidden" is mentioned. If you were to enter "forbidden places" into a search engine, all kinds of sites would show up: sex, CDs, movie reviews, free MP3s, college Web sites and tourism. For my purpose, forbidden places refer to socially inappropriate places to have sex, including places in the public eye.

Back in the 12th century, sex was forbidden when a woman was menstruating, pregnant, nursing, and during Lent, Advent and Easter. These days it's still unacceptable for people to have sex at certain times and in certain places.

During my freshman year of high school, my friend and I told our mothers we would be sleeping at each other's houses. She had met a guy at the movies the week before and he wanted to go out for the night. We agreed that we would meet him at the beach. She took her mother's van and we were under the agreement that I would give them some time alone.

We arrived and the two of them got into her parent's van and proceeded to make out. I sat and kept myself occupied. I was there for moral support and I had a boyfriend at the time. About half an hour had passed by, and out of the blue this car pulls up, flashing its high beams into the car. I remember sitting there thinking, "What a jerk to do that to someone!" Obviously, they were busy.

The car pulled up, parked and out jumped my friend's parents. They were not happy. Busting in on their youngest daughter having sex in their car at 2 a.m. wasn't what they wanted to see. On the car ride home, my friend must've thrown up at least 20 times in an attempt to get out of the trouble she was in. Still to this day we laugh about the time her parents caught her having sex in their car. It was a forbidden domain that she had (almost) conquered.

Forbidden places are exhilarating because they give you a sense of courage, an edge. It adds a sense of energy. Whether you're in the auditorium at school or on the kitchen table of your parents' house, the thrill of being in a forbidden place can set your heart and passion racing. In one single act you can cross the line from ordinary to extraordinary.

I must admit that I am one to utilize the thrill of forbidden places. Personally, I think it adds a little something to an already edgy ride. The risk of being caught, or of creating a public show, thrills something deep within me. Sometimes it's good to think about joining the Mile High Club, or of testing the limits of your current belief about sexual norms by leaving the bedroom.