Cold fails to heat up Nation crowd

Nintendo Fusion Tour with Cold, Evanescence, Revis and Finger Eleven hit Nation last Saturday

It's the "Year of the Spider"; at least that's the name of Cold's 2003 release. But judging by the crowd in D.C. on Sept. 13, calling it the year of the boar might be more accurate. Cold played as part of the Nintendo Fusion Tour with Evanescence and Revis at Nation. Cold's heartfelt songs didn't seem to be enough to get the crowd going that night. It was a surprising sight since many spider shirts and hats were spotted throughout the crowd. With Cold's 2003 offering, "Year of the Spider," it seems the band has drawn a bigger crowd. A bigger, but an unresponsive, crowd.

Cold came on bold with Scooter's powerful vocals, accompanied by a thumping bass line. Cold opened its set with a mellow song called "Gone Away," but eventually hastened to a faster paced song like "Suffocate," which some heads were bobbing to.

Within forty minutes, they played eleven songs: "Gone Away," "Remedy," "Don't Belong," "No One," "Confession," "Suffocate," "Send in the Clowns," "Sick of Man," "Stupid Girl" and "Just Got Wicked."

The crowd calmed down once Scooter dedicated one of the songs to his sister who had been diagnosed with cancer. They sang "Cure my Tragedy (A Letter to God)," which breaks down Scooter's thoughts and emotions about the tough times. "If you can make the world a stage for me, then I hope you can hear me scream," he painfully repeated.

The crowd seemed to gravitate toward more radio friendly songs like "Stupid Girl" off Cold's debut album and "No One" from "13 Ways to Bleed Onstage." Cold's sound was well polished, but in terms of stage presence the guitarist seemed to be the only one with movement. Cold deserved more attention and sing-a-longs, but with a crowd chanting for Evanescence, it wasn't likely to happen.

To find out more about Cold, go to www.coldonline.com and check out their new single, "Suffocate"