AU celebrates heritage

Hispanic Heritage festivities start today

AU is celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month through performances, films, discussions and an overall recognition of Hispanic culture and heritage from Sept. 15 through Oct. 15. The month is packed with events to stimulate the mind, move the feet and, more importantly, embrace and learn the culture.

A night of dancing kicks off the month long celebration with the Mexican Dance Ensemble, Los Quetzales at 4 p.m. in the Tavern and salsa with Resident Director Serjio Acevedo in Leonard Hall at 9 p.m. Celebrating the variation and diversity within such a large culture, TDR will serve a wide range of food from Chile, El Salvador, Spain, Cuba and Mexico throughout the month.

For Nick Chavez, co-director of the Latino American Student Organization (LASO), this month represents "pride, celebrating who I am and where I come from and sharing with others."

The discussions of "The African Influence in Latino Culture" on Sept. 29 at 7:30 p.m., "Latino State of the Campus" on Oct. 12 at 7 p.m. and "Latinos in the Law: Breaking the Color Barrier" on Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. hope to achieve that celebration and understanding.

Reporter, poet and activist Felipe Luciano will be the keynote speaker at the University Club (Mary Graydon Center 3-5) on Sept. 25 at 8:30 p.m.

Chavez hopes to see a good amount of people at each event and not just those who have a connection to Hispanic culture, but "a diversity of people, a celebration of Hispanic heritage with everyone."

Through film and performance, students have the opportunity to embrace and become familiar with the Spanish language. "No Se Lo Digas a Nadie," meaning "Don't Tell Anyone," shows on Monday, Sept. 22 at 8 p.m. about a young man tormented

by the expectations of his family and by his

homosexuality. "Divorciados, Evangelicas y Vegetarianas," a play spoken in Spanish, is showing at the Gala at the Warehouse Theatre where the first 10 students will get in free; regular admission is $10.

"I'm excited about sharing Latino culture with the campus and educating AU about the Latino community," student and LASO member Jackie Steward said.

Yet, many members of LASO agree that Hispanic Heritage should be celebrated throughout the year, not just this month.

"Hispanic Heritage Month is a time to celebrate the achievements of Hispanic people. It is also a time to learn about the contributions that Hispanics have made to this country," sophomore Angel McNeil said.

For more information on these events, stop by the Multicultural Affairs office in MGC 204 or call x3651.