Anger breeds beauty, says Arch Enemy

Featured Artist of the Week

After performing at Jaxx on Aug. 25, Arch Enemy's Michael Amott spoke with The Eagle about his band and the relationships members share within the group.

Eagle: What was the difference between recording "Anthems of Rebellion" and your other albums?

Amott: "This is our second album with Angela [Gossow] as the lead singer and our fifth studio album. Over time things just become easier."

Eagle: With your brother [Chris Amott] and a relationship with Angela Gossow, was it easier or more difficult to record?

Amott: "Oh yeah, there are fights all the time. Out of frustration and anger comes beauty."

Eagle: What about the Slayer/Hatebreed tour in the fall? There are a lot of rumors that you'll join them.

Amott: "That's what I hear. It's not announced yet, but I'm hoping. It looks like it will happen."

Eagle: How do you feel about the difference between American and European crowds?

Amott: "We get that question all the time. We were recently in Korea for the first time, playing a festival in front of 15,000 people. [But whether there] or here in front of 400, it's fun."

Eagle: How were you able to penetrate the American market?

Amott: "For the longest time we were holding a flag that we were extreme metal with some melody in the guitars and more than just the [stereotypical death metal band]. But now it seems everything is opening up a bit. We noticed it last year on the 'Wages of Sin' tour"