Audiences want indie, not "Gigli"

Summer means tank tops, flip flops, a job requiring all of three months of commitment and maybe a fling requiring even less devotion. Yet, while people shed substance in other aspects of life, they may expect it from summer movies.

The average fun and superficial summer flick wasn't enough to draw the usual hordes of fluff-devouring movie-viewers. This summer, it seems, moviegoers doled out their $9.50 for the less mainstream theater options. Most independent and foreign films play on limited release, making their popularity difficult to determine. However, sales drops in the mainstream market may be one indicator of independent film success.

"Generally speaking, the perception of the quality of the films by the moviegoer was pretty low," Paul Dergarabedian, a film tracker for Exhibitor Relations, told Reuters. Dergarabedian expected the summer box office to gross about $3.81 billion in ticket sales, more than last summer's $3.798 billion. Instead, he said sales will fall three to four percent, according to Reuters.

Washington, D.C., host to several movie theaters solely devoted to exhibiting independent and foreign films, has stood witness to the increasing popularity of alternative films.

"This is a trend that has been going on for a few years, not just this summer," said Heather Huston, Marketing and Events Manager at Independent Visions Cinema in Dupont. "This has been a trend for the last five years and it's becoming more mainstream."

"Swimming Pool," an intriguing thriller filled with murder, nudity and a twist, was one such film that inched its way into some mainstream hearts.

"The most popular 'art-house' film this summer was 'Swimming Pool,'" said Grant Lazer, an AU senior and summer employee at Loews Cineplex Outer Circle on Wisconsin Avenue. "Every weekend young couples and single men would flock to the theater to see the film."

Mehemias Hernandez, the manager at Outer Circle confirmed that "Swimming Pool" was the theater's most popular release.

Independent Visions, a somewhat unconventional movie theater hosting a bar and restaurant, also had a successful summer, according to Hurston. "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not," marked the theater's most popular film, though "Donnie Darko," which played as their "Midnight Movie" throughout the summer, was also an enormous success.

Other independent or foreign films also received great critical acclaim and relative popularity in the United States. These included "Dirty Pretty Things," a dark tale about the exploitation of London's illegal aliens, starring Audrey Tautou of "Amelie"; and "L'Auberge Espagnole," a funny and fabulous film for any student to see, especially those interested in study abroad.

It seems that more and more people are taking the road that has previously been less traveled and opting to see a film without a big budget behind it. But why?

Lazer explained that one reason may be the status one assumes by going to an "intellectual" film.

"I believe independent, 'art-house' films are becoming more successful because younger and middle-aged adults want to show themselves as sophisticated and they think that seeing an independent film will do that for them," Lazer said.

However, at least in urban areas like D.C., popularity may be spreading simply by word-of-mouth.

"I heard 'Whale Rider' was a good movie and I really liked it," said freshman Tony Hunt, adding that his experience might persuade him to see more alternative films.

"Seeing it makes me maybe want to go see more independent movies because it seems like they're more open and [the filmmakers] can do whatever they want in them."

Whatever the reason for the interest in independent and foreign films, it can be claimed that movies such as "American Splendor," and "Owning Mahowny," battled the likes of "The Hulk," and "Gigli" and won. They may not have made more money, but many sitting through the scenes agree they make for better viewing.

For more information on independent film "American Splendor" see the interview with star Paul Giamatti on Page 11.