Fleetwood Mac performs at inauguration

This Week in AU History

Eight years ago this week, a photo of Bill and Hillary Clinton graced the front page of The Eagle, marking the inauguration of President Clinton as the 42nd American president. While the Clintons moved in to the White House, their daughter Chelsea Clinton moved into the Sidwell Friends School just two miles from AU's campus. Also among the Inaugural revelry that week were 110 AU College Democrats who snagged Inaugural Gala tickets as thanks for their work on the 1992 Clinton-Gore campaign against the Republican ticket of Bush-Quayle.

While Latin pop superstar Ricky Martin highlighted Inaugural festivities on Friday, 1970s superstars Fleetwood Mac were the special guests of the 1992 Presidential Gala. Fleetwood Mac's song, "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" had been a central theme for the Clinton-Gore campaign in 1992.

"The Fleetwood Mac finale was electrifying. Don't stop and that there's hope for the future and the feeling that you can make a change," AU College Democrats President Laura Corvo said about the gala.

1994 AU students returned from winter break in 1994 to find the University shut down due to snow and cold weather. The week-long cancellation of classes did not result in the university shortening the academic calendar. AU encouraged professors to schedule additional classes if necessary, but to only use study days as a last resort for completing their courses.

Jorge Abud, vice president for facilities and management told The Eagle that icy conditions made it too difficult for the University to hold classes because the weather was simply too cold for the salt to melt the ice.

AU was further hampered by downed power lines, which prevented heat and electricity from reaching certain buildings. Local energy provider Pepco worked throughout the week to restore power to the Spring Valley area.

The cold weather also caused flooding in McDowell Hall. The cold caused pipes to freeze, which ultimately led to the bursting of sprinkler heads in ceiling of the McDowell Terrace.