MGC - Summer

AUPD arrest person for unlawful entry, assaulting a police officer Saturday night

Individual arrested was previously banned from campus

The American University Police Department arrested a person previously barred from campus Saturday night for unlawful entry, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, according to a Metropolitan Police Department report.

Rashid A. Shittu was apprehended by AU police at approximately 11:30 p.m. in the Mary Graydon Center after an AU police officer recognized him as someone banned from campus. Shittu resisted arrest and kicked an officer in the arm during the incident, according to the report. MPD was contacted shortly after and transported Shittu to the Second District station.

AU spokesperson Mark Story cited the arrest as an example of the “ongoing commitment, dedication and community policing efforts by AUPD.”

“Results of the hard work of AUPD are not always apparent, and this is a very good example of how enhanced surveillance and quick thinking by AUPD officers help to keep the AU community safe,” Story said in an email to The Eagle.

Students have expressed concerns about AU’s policing efforts in recent months following a controversial arrest of a graduate student for unlawful entry in March.

Anna Donohue contributed reporting to this article.