Kenneth Clarke was a freshman in the School of International Service, pictured here.

American University student struck by car has died

Memorial service for Kenneth Clarke scheduled for Sunday

Kenneth Clarke, the American University student who was struck by a car in late March, has passed away, Fanta Aw, vice president of campus life and inclusive excellence, said in a campus-wide email Friday morning.

Clarke’s parents are pastors in the United Methodist Church, Mark Schaefer, University chaplain, said. He was a member of a campus group for children of Methodist clergy, Schaefer said.

Clarke was hit by a car at 10:26 p.m. on Tuesday, March 27 at the intersection of Western Avenue and Wisconsin Avenue NW, near the Friendship Heights Metro station, D.C. Fire and EMS told The Eagle in late March. Clarke was a freshman in the School of International Service. He died from the "consequences of a severe traumatic brain injury and brain bleed sustained after being hit by a car last week," Aw said. A GoFundMe page raising money for his medical expenses had raised more than $30,000 as of Friday morning.

“The tremendous outpouring of support for him and his family in recent days is a testimony to the powerful effect Kenneth had on our university community in his all too short time with us,” Aw wrote.

A memorial service is scheduled for Sunday, April 8 at 4 p.m. in Kay Chapel. Students who are grieving are encouraged to visit Counseling Center drop-in hours, which are weekdays from 2-4 p.m. The Counseling Center staff will also be available from 12-2 p.m. Friday in Butler Conference Room A-B. The Dean of Students staff is also available for drop-ins on weekdays from 2-4 p.m. to support students who are concerned about their academics.

Faculty and staff who are grieving may contact the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program at 202-885-2593.

“As we grieve the loss of a promising young student, please take time to be there for one another,” Aw wrote.

crozen@theeagleonline.com