Tuesday, March 19, 2024
D11_348_088

School of Professional & Extended Studies dean to step down

Carola Weil served as inaugural dean of program

Carola Weil, dean of the School of Professional & Extended Studies (SPExS), will step down from her position on June 1, Provost Scott Bass announced in a campus-wide email Monday.

Weil is the third dean to step down since the beginning of 2017. Barbara Romzek stepped down as the dean of SPA in March 2017 and James Goldgeier stepped down as the dean of SIS last July. The University will conduct an internal search for an interim dean of SPExS, according to the email.

Weil will be the next dean of the School of Continuing Studies at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. She became the inaugural dean of the SPExS program in 2012.

“As the founding dean of SPExS, Dean Weil worked tirelessly to restructure and stabilize the programs that were formerly under the Washington Semester program,” Bass wrote in the memo.

Under Weil, the SPExS program created six fully online graduate programs and fostered instructional partnership agreements with other universities, including the University of Miami, Brandeis University and the University of Delaware, according to the memo.

Weil also conceived the SPExS Dean’s Forum for Innovation in Professional Education to bring field experts on national and international issues to campus.

She helped create the English Language Training Academy (ELTA) to support the University’s goal of increasing international student enrollment. The ELTA curriculum is now an integral part of AU’s International Accelerator Program that enrolls over 200 students annually, according to the memo.

vsalandro@theeagleonline.com

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.