SPA dean to step down

Barbara Romzek to transition to SPA Department of Public Administration and Policy

School of Public Affairs Dean Barbara Romzek will step down from her position, effective July 1, according to a memo released by Provost Scott Bass on Thursday.

Romzek will transition to professor in the SPA Department of Public Administration and Policy.

“We are grateful for Dean Romzek’s leadership over the last five years and are pleased that she will remain part of our community,” Bass wrote in the memo. “Her world class scholarship will undoubtedly continue to benefit school and university as a whole.”

She leaves the position having received the John Gaus Award from the American Political Science Association in 2014. Between 2013 and 2016, more than 30 SPA students received “prestigious fellowships,” according to the memo and 10 SPA Ph.D. graduates were placed in “prestigious research institutions.”

She was appointed dean by a special committee in 2012, The Eagle previously reported. Before coming to AU, she worked as a professor and administrator at the University of Kansas.

crozen@theeagleonline.com