HOME room

New multicultural space in MGC is now open to students

SG president: “It’s a space for students to feel unapologetically themselves”

The Hub for Organizing, Multiculturalism and Equity, or HOME, is now open in the Mary Graydon Center, Student Government President Taylor Dumpson announced in an email to students Friday.

The room, described by Dumpson as a “space for students that celebrates multiculturalism outside the Center for Diversity and Inclusion,” is a product of six months of work between student government, the Office of Campus Life and the University Center, Dumpson wrote.

“It’s a space for students to feel unapologetically themselves,” Dumpson said in an interview with The Eagle in October. “This can be a space where students can be supported, validated, reaffirmed and just be able to exist without the rest of the stress and the outside world.”

HOME is located in MGC 331A and open to all AU students via swipe access, which they can request in an online form. Students must agree to the conditions of use to gain access.

The conditions include not removing any items from the room, abiding by student conduct policies and affirming a commitment to “fostering a sense of community and belonging for our communities of color and allies,” according to the form. Once a student submits the form, the University Center will grant access to the room within five business days, Dumpson wrote.

“None of this could have been possible without each and every one of you advocating for a space for all students to feel valued, celebrated and cherished,” Dumpson wrote.

Laura Romero contributed to this article.

mcarrasco@theeagleonline.com