Microsoft Word - Document2

Karl Rove to speak at AU

The former White House senior advisor will address students on Feb. 16

Karl Rove, a GOP strategist who served as a senior advisor and Deputy Chief of Staff during the George W. Bush administration, will speak at AU on Feb. 16, according to a Kennedy Political Union press release.

The event is co-sponsored by the AU College Republicans and will take place at 8:15 p.m. in the MGC University Club. Rove will address students with opening remarks, and then the crowd will have the opportunity to ask him their own questions during a Q-and-A session, the release said.

Rove served as a senior advisor to Bush from 2000-2007 and Deputy Chief of Staff from 2004-2007, overseeing the Offices of Strategic Initiatives, Political Affairs, Public Liaison and Intergovernmental Affairs. Rove currently writes a weekly op-ed for the Wall Street Journal and is a regular contributor to FOX News. He is also the author of two books: The Triumph of William McKinley: Why the Election of 1896 Still Matters and Courage and Consequence: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight.

According to the press release, KPU hopes that this event will provide students with an interesting perspective on the mounting presidential campaign.

“With the 2016 election season underway, American University students are tuning into this year’s cycle and are growing increasingly engaged with national politics,” KPU Communication Director Coby Eiss said in the release. “Rove’s appearance on campus is timely as it comes exactly one week after the first-in-the-nation primary in New Hampshire.”

The event is also a continuation of KPU’s efforts to bring diverse speakers to campus.

“We seek to provide students with a holistic perspective of the political climate, and Mr. Rove is a prominent figure of a party that represents roughly half of Americans,” KPU Director Valeria Ojeda-Avitia said. “He’ll be our second GOP political figure to visit campus this school-year, following Bay Buchanan.”

jodonohoe@theeagleonline.com