Photo by Carol Highsmith / Flickr

The Scene’s Independence Day Guide

With Fourth of July quickly approaching, thousands of tourists will flock to the District to celebrate America’s birthday. For visitors and locals alike, D.C.’s historic monuments and memorials make the city an ideal location to display patriotic spirits and enjoy Fourth of July festivities. To plan your ideal Fourth July celebration, follow these suggestions from the Scene.

National Independence Day Parade

Start off the Fourth of July weekend right with the National Independence Day Parade. The parade will host a variety of guests including servicemen, military personnel and marching bands from all over the country.

When: Saturday, July 4, 11:45 a.m.

Where: Constitution Avenue and 7th St. NW

Metro: Metro Center, Red Line

Washington National Cathedral

Join the National Cathedral staff for their annual Independence Day organ concert. Arrive early for a family-friendly day filled with fun music and marches. Stick around in the evening to catch the annual firework show, which will hold your gaze until the end of the night. The Cathedral’s location makes it easy to spot the fireworks without having to face the crowds of Washingtonians and tourists in the National Mall.

When: Saturday, July 4, 11 a.m.

Where: 3101 Wisconsin Ave., NW

A Capitol Fourth Concert

Fourth of July festivities continue at the U.S. Capitol with A Capitol Fourth. The 35th annual concert features the National Symphony Orchestra, a live cannon fire provided by the United States Army and much more. Gates to the concert open at 3 p.m. and the show begins at 8 p.m.

When: Saturday, July 4, 3 p.m.

Where: West lawn of the U.S. Capitol

Metro: Judiciary Square, Red Line

Lincoln restaurant

For a patriotic American dining experience, make sure to stop by the Lincoln restaurant for their delicious American cuisine. The restaurant’s 4th of July menu offers a variety of traditional dishes including classic apple pie and savory BBQ.

Where: 1110 Vermont Ave., NW

Metro: Farragut North, Red Line

Old Ebbitt Grill

Head down to Old Ebbitt Grill and try everything from their acclaimed seafood to their tasty sandwiches. Located two blocks away from the President’s Park and the White House, the establishment creates the perfect patriotic ambiance for customers.

Where: 675 15th St., NW

Metro: Metro Center, Red Line

Arlington Memorial Bridge

End Independance Day at the Arlington Memorial Bridge, an all-time favorite place for D.C. locals to watch fireworks. Located next to the Potomac River, visitors will witness the colorful spectacle of the nation’s fireworks from an amazing view that overlooks the Potomac River.

Where: Washington, DC 20418

Metro: Arlington Cemetery, Blue Line

jaddison@theeagleonline.com

Follow @jenaeaddison