Tuesday, March 19, 2024
The Dodos Review

Concert Review: The Dodos bring layered sounds to Black Cat’s intimate stage

The Dodos came to the Black Cat in D.C. without any stage production or theatrics for its show on Feb. 24. But this is not why the band has had a steadily growing fan base from around the country.

Following the buoyant opening act, Springtime Carnivore, The Dodos rocked a nearly full house. "The San Francisco based indie-rock band displayed clinical guitar work and drumming during the show. The group performed the show as a part of its tour showcasing the band's sixth studio album, "Individ."

Guitarist Meric Long switched guitars after nearly every song and rotated through six different guitars of varying wear, style and feel. Each one offered a distinct sound but they were all powered by Long's intense play. Long made the show seem raw and down to earth by tuning the varying guitars several times.

The intimate atmosphere of the Black Cat was appropriate for the performance and allowed the duo to connect with their fans, even having some conversations with the most vocal audience members. Long said that "Individ" was made specifically for the Dodos’ fans and that the concert gave him an opportunity to see first hand how they liked it.

The second half of the band, Logan Kroeber, performed with an equally impressive set of instruments. His extensive drum kit provided a driving force that played off of Long's guitars and vocals. At times the duo switched off solos while maintaining a cohesive sound throughout.

"Black Cat released "Individ" late last January, which was featured heavily on the set list." "The crowd warmly received the band's songs such as "Confidence" and "Precipitation." After its main set ended, The Dodos performed a double encore to the delight of a cheering crowd.

For their second encore, Long invited Greta Morgan, the lead singer and guitarist of opening act Springtime Carnivore, onstage. The indie-pop band is difficult to pin down into one genre, but it brought an upbeat, dreamy contrast to the unrelenting music of the Dodos.

@JackString_ - thescene@theeagleonline.com

Hosts Sara Winick and Sydney Hsu introduce themselves and talk about their favorite TV shows. This episode includes fun facts, recommendations and personal connections.