One of the halls on the third floor of Mary Graydon Center.

Staff Ed: Third floor of MGC should be turned into student space

AU has plenty of things to brag about. We have great study abroad programs, acclaimed faculty and a perfect location for a wide variety of internship opportunities. But there’s one thing we’re undeniably lacking: a common room for students to hang out in.

Student Government President Sophia Wirth is campaigning for the third floor of the Mary Graydon Center to be turned into communal space. The long term goal put forth by Wirth would convert the area into a student union with permanent places for club offices and a student lounge.

The Eagle fully supports Wirth’s campaign. AU currently lacks a space for students to convene outside of their dorms. Particularly with the multiple new dormitories being built on campus, AU needs more places for all of these students to go to when they’re not sleeping. This could be part of the school’s effort to foster an environment where students actively want to spend more time on campus (instead of going to potentially dangerous off-campus parties at, say, unauthorized fraternity houses).

This conversion of MGC’s third floor could also be a great way to show more respect for AU’s many clubs. Many clubs have been asking for more office space for years now with little response. The University heavily advertises the diverse group of student-run clubs in admissions and needs to continue support by allowing them to grow and thrive. Student would likely be much more inclined to join clubs during their time at AU if they know they will have a designated space to meet.

Social life is one of the most important parts of college. It’s a place where people meet lifelong friends and discover new hobbies. It’s comforting to feel like you have a home on campus outside of your dorm room. This space could be a great step to giving students a stronger community and making the campus feel like a true home. -E

edpage@theeagleonline.com