“Broad City” comedy duo performing at AU in November

The comedy duo Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer, stars of Comedy Central’s TV series “Broad City,” will take the Tavern stage on Nov. 1, marking the Student Union Board’s first comedy event in more than five years.

Doors will open at 8:30 p.m for the Saturday event. Admission is free, but space is limited.

The comedy event, a departure for the music-focused Student Union Board, represents an attempt to appeal to the widest possible audience, according to SUB director Tam Sackman.

“Not everyone likes every genre of music, but everyone likes to laugh,” Sackman said. “I think we’re really going for variety this year in our acts in an attempt to make as many different groups of people happy as possible.”

The event follows SUB’s back-to-school concert featuring Karmin and JoJo, as well as a special screening of “Madam Secretary” in September.

About the Comedians

Jacobson and Glazer got started in comedy as part of the Upright Citizens Brigade, a comedy troupe that also boasts alums like Amy Poehler (“Parks and Recreation”), Jake Johnson (“New Girl”), Seth Meyers (“Saturday Night Live”) and Ed Helms (“The Office”).

From 2009 to 2011, Jacobson and Glazer starred in the web series “Broad City,” which they also wrote and executive produced. In January 2014, the pair adapted “Broad City” for a TV series on Comedy Central with the help of executive producer Poehler. The show, in which the pair play twenty-something slackers named Abbi and Izzi, premiered to rave reviews, with TV critic Willa Paskin of Slate calling it “TV’s funniest comedy.”

Following the AU event, Jacobson and Glazer will embark on an 18-city tour, including a stop at 9:30 Club in D.C. on Nov. 6.

Stream all ten episodes of “Broad City” season one on Comedy Central.

Disclaimer: SUB director Tam Sackman is the arts & entertainment editor for The Eagle.