Preview: Ty Segall showcasing range of talents at 9:30 Club

While Los Angeles rocker Ty Segall’s music is diverse in genre, its influences can be broadly characterized by three bands: pre-punk band The Stooges, glam rock group T.Rex and hard rock band Led Zeppelin.

At first glance, Segall may appear to be just another 21st century indie garage rock musician cliche: someone who grew up listening to the Sonics and the Stooges, and since learning the guitar has dedicated his whole life to resurfacing the fuzzy orgasmic rock of the 1960’s and ’70s. However, there is more to Segall than just the stereotypical hipster musician that many would label him to be.

If Segall’s whole music career were told as a joke, the delivery would probably take several minutes to clarify. Between multitasking between five other bands (recently including Fuzz) and his solo career — which includes a total of six studio albums — it is clear that Segall loves to write and perform music. The punch line, however, is that this accomplished musician is only 27 years old.

In the past month, Segall has been popping up all around social media for the promotion of his new album “Manipulator,” which hit stores on Aug. 26. News has also been circulating around the artist’s new interactive music video.

In addition to receiving well-rounded reviews from SPIN, the A.V. Club and Pitchfork, Segall’s “Manipulator” sounded completely different when the fifth track off the album, “Feel,” was performed live by Segall and his band on TBS’s Conan. During his performance, Segall proved himself a music revival auteur and pioneer when he was able to renew the dated sounds of classic hard rock.

Similar to that of Jack White, another music revival pioneer, Segall is able to isolate himself from much of the influences of the 21st century and in turn, write music as if it came straight out of the late 1970s.

“Manipulator” is one of Segall’s longest albums, complete with 17 tracks. This performer’s authentic talent is one of the many reasons why he is a must-see artist this year.

Segall will perform at the 9:30 Club on Sept. 15. Doors open at 7 p.m.