Impress parents with two (and a half) family-friendly days in the District

Though there’s the typical monument tour or fancy brunch, there’s still 48 hours or so left to entertain your family for Parents’ Weekend. The Scene offers a tightly-packed schedule for some (family-appropriate) fun.

Friday

Afternoon: Although many of you probably have classes most of the day and your parents won’t be arriving until late in the day, start your weekend off early with a trip to the National Zoo. Despite the recent tragedy with the baby panda, there are still plenty of weird and wonderful animals to see.

Price: Free

When: Open 7 days a week — grounds are open 6 a.m. to 8p.m., exhibit buildings are open from 10 a.m. to 6p.m.

Location: 3001 Connecticut Ave. NW

Metro: Red Line, Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan

Evening: If you didn’t make it in time to the zoo, introduce your family to a taste of vibrant D.C. culture with the Velocity DC Dance Festival. In its fourth year running, the festival features companies from around D.C. and the globe, including City Dance, Gesel Mason, El Teatro de Danza Contemporanea de El Salvador and more.

Price: $18

When: 8 p.m. Oct. 18 to 2 p.m. Oct. 21

Location: 610 F St. NW

Metro: Red Line, Gallery Place/Chinatown

Saturday

Morning: Take your family down Wisconsin Avenue for brunch at Bistrot Lepic, a French cuisine restaurant which delivers one of the best brunches that Georgetown can offer. Their eggs Benedict are to die for. Don’t pass up on trying an item from dessert menu, like the creamy mont blanc, coupled with a rich black tea.

When: 11 a.m. to 3p.m.

Price: $8-$30

Location: 1736 Wisconsin Ave. NW

Metro: Blue/Orange Line, Foggy Bottom-GWU

Afternoon: Head down to the Jack’s Boathouse on K Street for an afternoon of kayaking on the Georgetown waterfront. The breezy fall temperatures are practically an invitation to take advantage of all the outdoor activities D.C. can offer. If your parents are more outgoing, or you just want to kill a couple hours to enjoy the waning fall weather, this is the perfect activity for a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Price: $14 per person

When: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Location: 3500 K St. NW

Evening: Take the bus to Dupont Circle for a tour of the extensive art gallery at the Phillips Collection. Honestly, it’s a lot more fun than it sounds. The Phillips Collection offers a wide variety of both modern and traditional art and will make you seem all the more cultured to your parents.

Then end your day with dinner at Ping Pong Dim Sum down the street, an Asian fusion restaurant which combines the chaotic family style of dim sum with the classy, restrained style of lounge life.

Price: $12 for adults, $10 for students

When: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Location: Phillips Collection at 1600 21st St. NW, Ping Pong Dim Sum at 1 Dupont Circle NW

Metro: Red Line, Dupont Circle

Sunday

Just spend the entire day at Eastern Market. Not only does the area have fabulous restaurants (try Montmartre, their tuna tartare is delicious!), but it contains the combined farmer’s market and outdoor art gallery that is Eastern Market. The commute is a bit long, so you will probably spend your entire morning getting there, but it is well worth the wait.

This is especially true on Sundays, when there is the flea market every Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. Hosting every kind of stall from antique dealers to lemonade vendors to handcrafted jewelry stalls, the flea market at Eastern Market is everything you want it to be and more. Your mom can buy a nice souvenir to remember the trip by, your brother can purchase a used comic book and you can get your free sorbet.

Location: 225 7th St. SE

Metro: Blue/Orange Line, Eastern Market