From: Silver Screen

Valentine’s Day Weekend Watchlist: Celebrate the season with these romantic comedies

With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, there has never been a better time to rediscover the best rom-coms the 21st century has to offer. From electric chemistry to iconic musical moments, these movies have it all. Whether you're watching with a significant other or close friends, these movies are sure to leave a smile on your face.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

The eminently likable Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey star in this 2000s masterpiece, which recently got the seal of approval from Gen-Z TikTok audiences when it went viral in December. The initial setup is beyond improbable; Hudson’s Andie Anderson is a journalist in New York City tasked with making a guy break up with her in 10 days, while McConaughey’s Benjamin Barry (these are real names), has to make a girl fall in love with him over the same stretch of time. Cue devious scheming on both ends. Most significantly, Carly Simon'sYou’re so Vain” provides the backdrop for one of rom-com history’s greatest musical moments as Hudson and McConaughey drunkenly duet the song together at a charity event. 

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” is available to stream on Paramount+ now.

She’s the Man (2004)

Amanda Bynes is a national treasure and this is her magnum opus. “She’s the Man” reinterprets Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” for the MTV generation, and it does so with an ahead-of-its-time feminist angle. In order to prove a point about the sexism her public school’s women’s soccer team faces, Bynes’ Viola Hastings enrolls at Illyria, an elite boarding school, and joins the men’s soccer team disguised as her brother Sebastian. What ensues is a hilarious comedy of errors, made even more entertaining by the inclusion of Channing Tatum in his breakout role as Bynes’ love interest Duke. 

“She’s the Man” is available to rent on Amazon Prime now.

Twilight (2008)

Say what you want about the severely lacking chemistry between Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, but with dialogue like “hold on tight, spider monkey” and “this is the skin of a killer, Bella,” “Twilight” is high camp. It is the ultimate guilty pleasure. For those looking to laugh away the pain of being single on Valentine’s Day, “Twilight” can’t be beat for sheer unintentional hilarity. It helps that the soundtrack is laced with the best alternative rock and pop punk the 2000s had to offer, including two different Paramore bangers. In addition to the other iconic scenes, there is also a baseball game played between vampires set to Muse'sSupermassive Black Hole.” Not to mention the iconic blue tint director Catherine Hardwicke put on every frame.

“Twilight” is available to stream on SHOWTIME now.

The Proposal (2009)

The first rom-com I ever watched remains my all time favorite, and my ultimate comfort movie. Ryan Reynolds has never been more charming than as Sandra Bullock’s long-suffering assistant in this 2000s gem. The narrative decision to uproot Bullock’s icy corporate boss from New York City to rural Alaska in a fake marriage scheme is what rom-com dreams are made of. Bonus points for Betty White, who gives a scene-stealing performance as Reynolds’ hilariously vulgar grandma.

“The Proposal” is available to stream on Hulu now.

Fire Island (2022)

Bros” may have been the first gay rom-com to be produced by a major studio, but “Fire Island” is the best queer romance released last year. This modern take on Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” stars Joel Kim Booster and Bowen Yang as best friends looking for love on the titular New York island. The movie tackles complex topics like anti-Asian racism, internalized homophobia and fatphobia with nuance and care for its subjects. It is also a heartwarming celebration of the love, acceptance and found family that comes with being a part of the LGBTQ+ community.

“Fire Island” is available to stream on Hulu now.

This article was edited by Bailey Hobbs, Kylie Bill and Nina Heller. Copyediting by Isabelle Kravis, Leva Amoui, Stella Guzik and Sophia Rocha

rgillis@theeagleonline.com

More from Silver Screen